Topic

Question on lockpicking

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
Hi,
i would like to ask, how lockpicking is supposed to work on this server. My character is around lv 18 now and I have not looted a single strongbox so far from pickpocketing. I have not found a single lockbox in any loot. The lockboxes in redridge, which according to old guides are supposed to get you to around 70, stop working as soon as you get around 50, lockboxes in other areas are of no use, since they are very difficult to get to with lv 18 and you should have at least 70 points in lockpicking to start with.

What do I miss?

Best regards...

Galgnu @ Kirin Tor
Galgnu
1 Orc Shaman
Buccaneer's Strongbox --> Barrens --> 100+ skill

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
Been there, done that. Same as the boxes in Redridge. Lockpicking stuck at 53/100, no matter how many of them I open.

Galgnu @ Kirin Tor
Galgnu
1 Orc Shaman
What colour do they have?

There are also boxes in Stonetalon btw....

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
They are yellow. WoW-Head tells me, they should be all the same and take me to 70. But they do not.

As everyone is suggesting that boxes should work, and they are definately not doing that, I suspect this to be broken.

On the other hand I can not imagine, noone else has tried to raise their lockpicking skill.

So a clerification on this would be nice.

Best regards.

Galgnu @ Kirin Tor
Galgnu
1 Orc Shaman
Plenty of people with max skill ingame... Ask around in global - eventhough rouges prefer to stab you from behind some can be helpful ;-)

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
Yes, that is what I was doing in the first place. Very, very scarce replies and the few I got were like 'i cant remember', 'just use the boxes' or 'git gud'.

I am sorry, I am using the boxes and THEY ARE NOT WORKING!

Remuerto @ Kirin Tor
Remuerto

1 Undead Rogue
1-85
Go to Alther's Mill and you can lvl from 1 till aproximately 85. There are three different boxes and one of them skills up, even tho at 55 becomes green.

50-150 In the same zone, Redridge Mountains, go to the Lake Everstill where you will find several chests under the water (on the side where murlocs live, not on the side of the town). Right next to the bridge there is one which you can open every 8 seconds without even having to dive (water is knee-high). Most of those boxes skill up to 120-150, but there is one that can push you even up to 170.

Next:
There are very good red chests at the Zoran Strand in Ashenvale. Unfortunately, these have a very long spawn, so you could only do one round and they all will be gone for a while.

Better option:
Go to Wetlands and check the zone with murlocs at the west side of the map. You have many chests but you can actually move between two of them, since they have a 8 seconds respawn. A bit more towards the center of the map (but still on west area) there is another one that gets over 200, even.

Remuerto @ Kirin Tor
Remuerto

1 Undead Rogue
Another option: Although surrounded by npcs, there are A LOT of chests in Durnholde Keep, Hillsbrad Foothills. You can kill these npcs for Ravenholdt reputation, if you like. After a few runs you can learn the circuit, you have many on the lower area and a few up on the towers and along the walls.

175-225
The area where the pirates live in Tanaris has many chests all over the place. All of these work great and the respawn time is not so long.
Alternatively, you can go to Feralas and search in the area where Gordunni Ogres are. You will find Sturdy Junkboxes and Steel Lockboxes.

There are many spots for this level, but I found the easiest one to be the Dented Footlockers you find in the underground in Searing Gorge. Fly to Thorium Point and walk down south until you find a square opening on the ground where a crane is. Jump down there and search for some boxes. You will see there are a lot and they have a very short spawn (8 seconds you can lvl up to 265 there if you want

At this point you can start with Heavy Junkboxes, which are mostly stolen from mobs. The best place for this is –as many Insane in the Membrane achievers– Blackrock Spire. Almost every second mob will give you a box. If you don't want to go there at lower lvls, you can just steal from all the 48-55 zones such as Searing Gorge, Hinterlands, Western Plagelands.

Finally, you can max up to 300 at Tyr's Hand, next to the DKs starting area. The tower on the northrendmost part of the zone, close to Light's Chapel, has one inside that you can just open again and again. If you like, you can steal from the Scarlet guys around and also find more on the floor all over the place.

Remuerto @ Kirin Tor
Remuerto

1 Undead Rogue
At 300, you will get more than enough boxes stealing from mobs, first in Outland's dungeons and afterwards in Northrend.

Don't forget to macro your opener (Ambush, Cheap Shot...) with pickpocketing. That way, you will be receiving boxes in your bags without even realising.

Best places to skill up in Northrend: Violet Hold gate in Dalaran and ghost npcs at Steeljaw's Caravan in Borean Tundra

Good luck.

========================

Pickpocketing + Ambush macro:

showtooltip Ambush
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast Pick Pocket
/stopcasting
/cast Ambush

========================

Pickpocket spam macro for BRS (use with increased range, stealthed, bind it to an easy key or mouse wheel):

showtooltip Pick Pocket
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/stopattack
/console targetNearestDistance 10
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/cast Pick Pocket
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/cleartarget

(EDIT: I couldn't post all in one message, web would block me for some security reasons, that's why I had to divide it like this, I am sorry)

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
Remuerto, thank you for giving such a detailed answer.

But as I have already written, i have tried several different boxes in the gameword (e.g. in Redridge and The Barrens). My skill is at 52 off 100 possible at lv20. All the boxes show up in YELLOW on the tooltip, and WOW Head confirms, just as you did, that those boxes should be good for leveling until about 70.

BUT THEY DO NOT!

I have opened 50 to 60 of them, I changed the area I was in, I relogged, I have disabled AddOnes.

I am unable to gain any further lockpicking skill!

Vatroslav @ Kirin Tor
Vatroslav
80 Blood Elf Warlock
I managed to level up my lockpicking up to 80+ on the boat near rathcet, if I remember correctly even a class quest sends you there. Get yourself a glyph of lockpicking as soon as you can, it will save you a lot of time, and also turn on auto loot.
If you don't get a skill up in the next 20 boxes unlocked while there, it means something seriously has bugged out since the last time I did it (about a year and a half ago). Only thing that can come to mind is that you should track back your class quests and do them all, don't know about the alliance side, but the horde ones used to work correctly. I know it should have nothing to do with the issue but who knows might somehow help.

Grimberta @ Kirin Tor
Grimberta
1 Dwarf Paladin
There are only two rogue quests I am missing:

The first is the one in the tower in westfall, where you got the venom abilities in classic. I need a higher lockpicking skill to complete it.

The second one is the pickpocket quest in teldrassil, where you have to pickpocket the journal from a satyr, which is impossible to do, since he does not roam on this sever, but is just standing on a branch, looking in the exact and only direction from where you could approach him.

Another player told me that gaining lockpicking skill works for him, so I guess there is something wrong with my char.

But as my ticket is not being answered, I am stuck at this, and I do not know what to do.

Chisuru @ Kirin Tor
Chisuru

1 Blood Elf Rogue
Ive been skilling up lockpicking past cpl weeks (while leveling) and never had this problem, whole lockpicking worked so far retail like but the lockboxes in otherhand seem to have way longer respawn times (example the castle in hillsbrad).. anyway, maybe this bug is for your character alone? Have you tryed deleting cache folder ? That mostly fixes any bugs i have.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.