Topic

Key bindings or just clicking?

Shanaynay @ Kirin Tor
Shanaynay

1 Troll Shaman
Hey there,

Fairly new to this server and have not played in a long time. Even when I played on Retail years ago, I was fairly casual

I see the term key binding thrown around a lot. For raiding purposes, is key binding mandatory? I honestly don't know much about it as embarrassing as that is since I play WoW :3, and would appreciate some basic info

As well as, some 'essential' key bindings for a healer? I remember reading up on it long time ago, and it seemed so complex and advanced

For example what I do now, is I have the Grid addon, see a low target ally in my group, click the box for that ally in Grid and then click on my healing spell in my skill bar

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Tarpor @ Kirin Tor
Tarpor

9 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey dude,

good idea to reach out (as embarassing as it might be to you).

To answer your basic question, yes, key bindings are essential. The time you use to click on grid, then click on your spell, could mean life and death to your tank.

Now when you do use keybindings, the only thing that's between you and being as fast as you can is clicking grid and then pressing the keybind. To mitigate this, you use mouseover macros.

A mouseover macro for healing looks like this;

showtooltip Healing Wave
/cast [target=mouseover, exists, help][] Healing Wave

When using this, and you click your keybind, it will cast the spell on the person your mouse is hovering over on grid, removing the need to click on grid.

(You getting Grid is already a huge step in the right direction)

Start at that, try it out. If you have any questions, whisper Tarpor on horde side.

Shanaynay @ Kirin Tor
Shanaynay

1 Troll Shaman
Thanks for the starter info, it really does help. And I have to agree, I have so many skills on my skill bar that sometimes just looking for the particular heal I want to use - but then my target ally is already dead

I'll try this out tonight, it sounds like it's something I can setup from the regular in-game options, is that right?

Would you mind explaining the physical actions/buttons I would be pressing if I use that macro you gave me

For example what I'm wondering is: If I setup that macro, I just 'mouse over' a target ally in my grid setup - will it just cast healing wave on every single ally I happen mouse over? How does it know, that this one particular ally I moused over should get that heal?

Galgnu @ Kirin Tor
Galgnu
1 Orc Shaman
Use Healbot.

It shows your grp, current hp and possible decurse options. You bind your spells to different mouseclikcs/combination and cast spells asap.
Best options I've tried. And very easy to setup :-)

Shanaynay @ Kirin Tor
Shanaynay

1 Troll Shaman
Alright cool, I will look up Healbot. I have seen that as a suggestion in other posts, I'm just having a hard time visualizing how addons beyond Grid will help me - I mainly want to avoid putting more addons on my screen that will just make things more clunky instead of smooth

Thanks for that suggestions. It sounds like it does it all in one addon :)

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
Edited by Tapswhenoom on 2017-12-07 12:40:55
Good thing you ask questions like this. Most people who don't bother with actually learning the core mechanics of the game will end up staying behind people who are willing to put effort in the game.

Before I am going to explain you how to force yourself to learn keybinds, let me first tell you this:
By learning keybinds you will:
1. Be able to control fights much better, as you are now worrying about what is going to happen as opposed to worrying about clicking the correct spell at the right time. No longer looking at your spells but looking at the environment where you are playing in (be it a dungeon or raid that requires tight positioning or an arena match where you are abusing LOS on pillars)
2. Be able to react MUCH faster to in-game triggers that require you to do something (read: interrupt, spot healing, tank swapping, target switching, ...)
3. ultimately enjoy playing the game a lot more because you can focus on the game instead of the mechanics of playing it. Don't know if you have ever played LoL but that game is rough on new players, but as you learn the mechanics you can start focusing on other aspects.

I play a warlock, a class that typically uses a lot of keybinds, so I'll explain how to learn that, but for a healer/tank/melee/murloc the though process is exactly the same.

More to come, but I can't post the entire post at once :(

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
0. Your keyboard
Your keyboard has, uhm, keys. And some keys are farther away to where your hand typically is. This means that it's usually more efficient to have spells you use a lot to be close to your movement keys. This my friend, is the basis of keybinding. This should be obvious to everyone.

Another thing important to use properly is using modifier keys (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT). Do not use these buttons as a single keybind, but use them to group spells (in a way you like). For example you can use 'Q' for a heal, 'SHIFT+Q' for the same heal, but with a mouse-over macro, CTRL-Q to heal your target in /focus and ALT+Q to heal yourself. If you like a pattern like this, I recommend to use the same pattern on your other keys. E.G. E is bound to so a stronger heal with a longer cast time, then use the same modifiers for that spell.

But Taps, this means I will have 40+ keybinds at the end. Yes it does! And that's a good thing. Having muscle memory trained to have 40+ keybinds at your disposal will make you a god among men!
But Taps, I'm a clicker now, how will I ever master this? Well, that's easy. You start out simple, and as soon as you get the hang of it you add a modifier. You start out with say 5 keybinds, then go to 7, then add shift and alt. Boom, 21 keybinds!

I will now describe a bunch of example binds to illustrate the thought process of efficiently organising your keybinds

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
1. Character Movement
The TLDR here is don't be a keyboard turner
I personally use WASD (gonna assume QWERTY for this guide), with A and D for strafing, not turning. Turning is done with the mouse (holding right click and turning the screen). Some people use ESDF or RDFG because it allows them to have more binds on the left side. I personally don't do this because it fucks up my wrists after an hour or so. Whatever you are going to use, do NOT use the arrow keys for movement.

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock

2. Go to spells
For an affliction warlock my main spells are: life tap (~), shadowbolt (MB4), Haunt (Shift+MB4), Drain Soul(MB5), UA (1), corruption (2), CoA(3)/CoD(SHIFT+3)/CoE(CTRL+3) and drain life(V) for solo content.

I added in drain mana (SHIFT+V), Immolate (Shift+1), RoF (Shift+2), and SoC (Q). Coil is (Shift+Q)
I also like to have my mount macro on (SHIFT+~), incinerate on (Shift+MB5)

What you should notice here is the grouping.
My main filler spell (SB) is on my thumb as well as the one that replaces it (DS) on execute phase. Since haunt is so important I have that on my mouse too. As for my dots I just but them on the top row, and since you have to keep LT buff op that's on there as well. Not that all these keys are easy to reach and they exlude each other.

e.g. you can't have both UA and immolate up on the same target, so they share a key. Same for the curses

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
3. Cooldowns
For an affliction warlock my cooldowns are: Trinket 1, Trinket 2, healthstone, health potion, spelldmg/haste potion, maybe some item enhancement from engineering, Demonic Circle Place/Teleport and shadow ward.
I don't remember exactly which one was wich, but Demonic Circle place is Shift+C and teleport is C. Trinket/Spelldmg stuff is high priority so I have those on E(Shift,CTRL modifieres). Healthstone is R and health pot is shift R. Shadow ward is Z. Not an easy button to reach but it has a 30s cd and usually it's pretty telegraphed when you should use it.

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
4. Underused important spells
These spells you want close to your heart (they are seperate macro keys on my keyboard on the left side). Not used extremely often (well, the focus one I use a lot) but you really want to have them bound because some of these will save your life if you are quick on the trigger
-A focus current target macro
-A banish rank 1 on focus macro
-A banish rank 2 on focus macro
-only if I'm demo -> instant pet summon with modifiers to summon which pet macro

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
5. Niche spells
For an affliction warlock are CoT, Soul Stone. They are bound on keys that are a bit awkward to click, but reachable nevertheless; shift 5 and 5

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
6. Useless stuff for binding
For an affliction warlock my useless stuff (I didn't bind this) are shit like health funnel, curse of weakness, unending breath, detect invisibility. The use macro of my spellstone, fel armor etc.

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
Edited by Tapswhenoom on 2017-12-07 12:51:51
7. Practicing
Now that I explained my setup, you should do to! Start out with section 0 and 1 and start practicing on target dummies. Once you get the hang of that, go for a RDF or an easy raid. Next go to a heroic with some friends, and start stomping the instance. I'm talking pulling too many mobs at once. Make it hectic! Your first reflex will be to go back to clicking, force yourself to make decisions with your keybinds. After a while this will start to go natural. That my friend, is the time to add Cooldowns, macro's and modifiers to your game.

Repeat this process untill you have every spell you use in combat bound to your keys.

Then go grab some phat ass lewt!

Some videos:
[youtube]sQnQ42fWeR8[youtube]
[youtube]6iq8AEEUYy0[youtube]
[youtube]kWANuMTgdmc[youtube]

Deathstep @ Kirin Tor
Deathstep
4 Dwarf Paladin
tldr make keybinds noob

Shanaynay @ Kirin Tor
Shanaynay

1 Troll Shaman
Wow thanks so much for the in depth explanation Taps ;) I'll have to review it later tonight. I did try some key bindings yesterday....and I'm shaking my head that I never tried this years ago in Retail. It definitely is amazing as a healer, I want to setup some up as a dps build on my Shaman too as I can only assume it will increase dps as well. Are there any good addons for dps and key bindings, similar to HealBot lets say?

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
ELVui was backported to 3.3.5
https://github.com/ElvUI-WotLK/ElvUI

Add in bigwigs or DBM and you're good (I don't like to play with those though)

If you make mouseover macro's you can use Grid I think over the ones from ELVui and just hover the portraits and mouseover cast whenever you need to be. Maybe someone else can confirm if the ELVui port supports it for healers. Anyways wouldn't know, I exclusively play warlock anyway ^^

In general though, my advice is to stay away from bossmods. Especially on private servers they tend to be buggy and they have a tunneling effect on me in raids. I just play better (read: situational awareness) without bossmods since it forces me to pay attention to what is going on instead of waiting till my screen turns blue...

Cheno @ Kirin Tor
Cheno

1 Tauren Druid
So you keep track of timings in your head while playing? Amazing.
Bossmods are only bad if the player relies on them to play.

Either make your own mouseovers as macros or get Clique.

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
Bossmods are only bad if the player relies on them to play.

For some reason I find it easy to become a terrible player if I'm comfortable with the fight while at the same time looking at my bossmods.

As for timers in my head: nah I don't do that. I just have good situational awareness (well, usually anyway). Very rarely does it happen that an encounter is so tightly tuned that you don't have the time to react to mechanics without using timers.

Servers I used to play on had the timers off by a couple of seconds, causing wipes if you just looked at your bossmods... So I just disabled them :)

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.