Topic

Multiboxing and PVP

Rahizm @ Kirin Tor
Rahizm

1 Blood Elf Hunter
As a player that's been in and out of WoW for the past 8 or 9 years, Dalaran is hands down the best server I've ever played on. There is very little about this server that I can complain about, because they take such amazing care to uphold the blizz-like nature. That being said, there is one thing that absolutely has to be addressed and that is multiboxing in organized PvP. I know there have been plenty of other threads about this and all of them either support or oppose it. But it really needs to go. Sure, multiboxing has long been tolerated by Blizzard. But that's only because they could charge someone who wanted to have 5 characters $75 a month instead of just $15. What company would deny a customer willing to throw even more money at them? But even then, Blizzard eventually changed it to make multiboxing less effective in PvP. The reason for this is that it simply destroys the balance of organized PvP. People argue that 5 regular players should be able to take down 5 boxed characters with no problem. In truth though, you can't think of the boxed characters as separate entities. Instead, it's more accurate to think of it as one big character with 5 times the damage. Multiboxed characters attack the same character every time without exception. Getting 5 separate players to target Roflstomperthree out of a group of 5 or more is not very likely. This leads to each player either attacking a different character or spending time trying to find the right character. In the meantime, you have 5 characters burning a player down in a matter of seconds before focusing another to burn. In the end, the multiboxer will win with little to no casualties almost every time. In organized PvP, battlegrounds with anywhere from 5-40 people on a team should not be determined based on who has the most multiboxers and Wintergrasp should not be won just because one person shows up and tilts the entire match. Granted, the horde and alliance balance is off and is currently being worked on, but multiboxers are not helping the problem in the least.

Musicbox @ Kirin Tor
Musicbox
1 Blood Elf Priest
I have won WGs against multiboxers.

Multiboxing is blizzlike, deal with it, so stop crying.

/closed

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
I agree that there should be a limit, and I have put a suggestion in to the staff several times on this matter.

My personal opinion is that 5 should be the limit, with a possibility of making us play a minimum of either 2 or 3 different classes to increase the difficulty.

There's plenty of ways to counter us and if people want tips they can feel free to ask me.

Deathstep @ Kirin Tor
Deathstep
4 Dwarf Paladin
If you can't kill a multiboxer with same number either your gear is bad or your team is bad, multiboxing only works in these situations against noobs.

multiboxing
is
in
fact
100%
blizzlike
and
should
be
on
every
blizzlike
server
or
the
server
isnt
blizzlike

Algalonisoff @ Kirin Tor
Algalonisoff

1 Gnome Warlock
Limiting it to five sounds like a decent idea.

Tapswhenoom @ Kirin Tor
Tapswhenoom

1 Orc Warlock
The argument that multiboxing is blizzlike is BS because here you can make 20 accounts in about 5 minutes and set them up. Retail is X times the subscription cost so in retail there aren't nearly as much multiboxers.

For PVE:
I see no problem with this.

For non-world PVP (battlegrounds, arena, ...)
I see no problem with this.

For world PVP:
I think it should be bannable because getting ganked by 10 frostbolts is not fun and has no counterplay.

Musicbox @ Kirin Tor
Musicbox
1 Blood Elf Priest
No it's not BS, it's blizzlike, deal with it.

It's a private server and you can make free accounts, deal with it.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
I don't think the money aspect is the issue. Many free mmo allow it, and on average multiboxers on private servers still pay more than average players.

The in game effects are what matter most. PvE has no effect on anybody else so there's no reason to restrict it. PvP doesn't have any real effect for five or less chars. BGs are auto balanced in terms of numbers anyway on Dalaran and if you lose to a multiboxer in arenas, you suck.

It's difficult to deal with ten boxers though, and especially more than ten due to how aoe works in wotlk. If an aoe ability hits more than ten targets, the damage to each target is reduced. If for example you'd normally hit each target for 2000 damage, against 15 targets you'd instead deal 1333 to each target. For 20 boxers, that's 1000 each character. For 25 characters, that's 800 damage each.

What happens is eventually servers become like warmane with 25+ boxers stacking mostly resto druids with a few dps that'll rarely ever die due to overhealing and enough aoe of their own to eventually kill pretty much anything.

In wg they simply start at the enemy factions landing zone and instantly kill opponents with passive aoe. IoC and AV become two hour long games where they sit at their own boss, allowing the other faction to take out all towers and then slowly winning through 600+ enemy kills.

Deathstep @ Kirin Tor
Deathstep
4 Dwarf Paladin
You think someone will level 20 accounts from lvl 1 with no heirlooms or RAF? i don't think so, these multiboxers vote and donate to cut out most of the grind, so they actually contribute more as a single player than you do to the server, they're valuable and usually big spenders, and yes it is blizzlike. Let's say fly hacking was allowed on retail, it would be blizzlike here to do the same, honestly just give up.

Multiboxing will remain because this server has standards.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
I actually leveled 37 chars with no instant 70 :P and anorange is currently leveling his 16-25th chars from 1-70.

But yes on average we tend to spend more and Dalaran stance is that donations aren't taken into decision making which is how it should be.

Look at "Warmane Wotlk Multibox : Alliance Extermination At Wintergrasp" to see what happens with no limits in place. It becomes a case of spamming literally two macros for one person to kill hundreds of others.

The staff know from before what happens with large numbers, the players facing them can be disconnected. I won't say here what it is, but they are aware that a particular setup will make the non multiboxer disconnect which eliminates any chance of winning.

My opinion that the same number of people vs a multiboxer should always win still stands, and I will still play ten until the rules are changed. But it's getting hard to find five people to fight, let alone ten or twenty five.

Mcdagger @ Kirin Tor
Mcdagger
5 Troll Rogue
...Wintergrasp should not be won just because one person shows up and tilts the entire match.

I think the current issues with Wintergrasp have more to do with base capture time than damage or survivability. When there are only a handful of Alliance in WG the Horde can just function as cannon fodder to prevent the allies from ever having the numbers to capture a base. Obviously multiboxers contribute to this somewhat, but I have seen matches with no multiboxers where the Alliance loses for this reason only. Hence, I don't think banning multiboxing would really help the Alliance WG win rate.

Aredone @ Kirin Tor
Aredone
2 Undead Warlock
AHAHA!!! I love it. This is precisely the sort of QQ I wanted to see. My mission is accomplished.

The alliance?? Whining about multi-boxers?? After years of praising Ed and that shamman I beat down so hard he wont play anymore? I LOVE IT! It is all so flattering.

And speaking of flattering, if the mods should decide to change the rules because of me then I should be even more humbled by the response to my work. All I want to see is the world burn and burn it has. If rules have to change just because of me I will take that as a sincere praise of my work. What better recognition could there be?!

And I will continue to add fuel to the fire for you whiners. I am rasing up another 10 toons and after that 10 more! When I am done SW will be MY home, not yours! No alli will be allowed withing its walls while I am online.

Ed is ded. The future is now. The future is mine!

And if eddy were such a purist as to request only 5 toons be allowed to play at once, why hasn't he held himself to this standard before now? He has won and won big by boxing and now he whines about it??!!!! Only because he has reached his limitations and others have surpassed him. NOW he cries. NOW he wants the rules to change. This fact alone makes me chuckle.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
Edited by Edzero on 2018-03-31 21:05:12
I went down to five when I realised that ten was too much.

I've only gone back up to ten recently because of you and that 25 dk guy.

I'm still perfectly capable of beating you 10v15 as I've demonstrated in the 18 out of 20 Wintergrasp battles that I've won against you.

The funny part is that you act like you are actually good at the game but can't win 10v15 even with the 33% incoming aoe reduction that you have and are now stacking even more characters.

You'd be of more use to your faction if you played your characters individually for a while to learn their classes properly and then learn to multibox afterwards. As it stands right now, you are useless in game zone where you can't outnumber the opponent I.e anywhere except world PvP and Wintergrasp. Right now you don't know how your classes work or how to multibox, only how to hit an aoe macro and then tab target to stack dots on a single enemy at a time.

Klandon @ Kirin Tor
Klandon

1 Undead Warlock
eddy,

1. You only run with help these days. Healers mostly. Never see you without them.
2. You will only fight me if you think starfall is down. You send ppl out to get me to pop CDs so you can have an advantage.
3. You know as well as I do that when starfall is up, you're a dead man. You have admitted as much yourself. As I recall I wiped you after WG just the other day. In your keep. With your homies watching. Dead of course, just like you.
4. It is comedic listening to someone who has had a 10 : 1 advantage whine about a guy who, as of now, holds a 1.5 :1 advantage over him. But please, by all means continue your QQ. We have all found it hilarious.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
Whatever happened to Aredone?

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.