Topic

Frost spec tanking: 2H or dual wield?

Animalmother @ Kirin Tor
Animalmother

5 Tauren Hunter
Is it worth it to put the 5 points in improved dual wield and to tank with dual wield or is staying with 2H better? Or should a Frost tank dual wield but not spec into it? Thank you. Also, if anyone has a link to any builds/guides for DK frost in 3.3.5 it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Required @ Kirin Tor
Required

1 Undead Rogue
I can't offer a spec but I know that the 2 viable tank specs are 2h blood and dual wield frost :)

Wu @ Kirin Tor
Wu
5 Undead Mage
Hey there,

I found this thread and it seems there is a lot of useful information there.

Check if you find something that helps you:

http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=136052/death-knight-3-3-tanking-guide

Cheers

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
All talent trees can tank and DPS on WotLK, don't misinform the guy please...

Now for the question, Frost Strike's weapon percentage was reduced and the added damage was increased through the patches. This was a clear "nerf" for the 2H Frosts who were hitting for 10-15k Frost Strike @ Uldu and a hint for players to look at DW more. Then at ToC they added ToT, which basically completely overshadowed 2H. So the answer is - go for Dual Wield with Threat of Thassarian, it is the better choice for Frost.

Treebag @ Kirin Tor
Treebag
2 Night Elf Druid
All talent trees can tank and DPS on WotLK, don't misinform the guy please...

Yes, all talent trees can tank or DPS. It's just not viable, as blood DPS and unholy tanking is subpar compared to other talent trees. Even unholy is inferior to frost due to ToT. Anytime you're in a raid and there's an UH DK, it's as a support role, buffing caster DPS and buffing frost DK's disease damage.

What Required said still stands. There's two viable tanking specs for a DK. Blood and DW Frost. To expand, Blood is better for most raid encounters unless snap threat is required in a fight, in which DW Frost comes out ahead with the use of howling blast. Frost is also better for a newer tank in heroics as it puts out more snap threat at the beginning of trash pulls.

Pogchamp @ Kirin Tor
Pogchamp

2 Orc Rogue
frost dw because 2x shiver/sorthalis > any 2hand. all you care about are stats, dual wield provides most of those. all your threat comes from icy touch and the blood "selfheal" is absolutely useless on most encounters

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Treebag, your knowledge about DKs seems quite limited and coming from rumors more than experience and actual research...

Unholy is the spec which takes the least damage from all 3 specs if played correctly (proper management of Bone Shield, that is). The reason people don't play it is because it's the hardest and weirdest of all 3 specs to tank with. Blood is only really stronger than Frost and Unholy in ICC where, because of the debuff, EHP is by far the way to go than Avoidance, and Unholy tank relies on avoidance.

Now, regarding DPS - I'll have to inform you that the only reason Frost is the best on Dalaran-wow's content is because ToT was introduced on 3.3. Unholy was the best on Ulduar, followed by 2H Frost. And Ebon Plague doesn't stack with Earth and Moon and Curse of Elements by the way, so people aren't taking Unholy for their debuffs.

Another piece of useful information for you: the best single-target DK DPS spec at WotLK endgame is... Blood. Just wait for ICC. Until then ToT Frost will still be top, of course

Sweglord @ Kirin Tor
Sweglord

1 Human Mage
There is a reason why there are no DK tanks in this server

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
And that is?

Treebag @ Kirin Tor
Treebag
2 Night Elf Druid
Yes, my knowledge about DKs is absolutely based on rumors and conjecture rather than experience and actual research.

So please, enlightened one, show me all the unholy tanks on this server so I can talk to them about their choice of talent spec. I haven't seen one on this server yet Horde side. You're not implying that there isn't a single DK Horde side that doesn't know how to properly manage bone shield are you? Or perhaps there's some other reason that most of the tanks in the top raiding guilds (that is to say - those that are clearing Ulduar every week including hard modes) are using blood and frost tanks over unholy? Since my knowledge is limited and coming from rumors, perhaps you can shed some light?

If people aren't taking Unholy for their debuffs, why would they take them at all? It's definitely not because of their amazing DPS. Perhaps something else you can shed some light on. I could give reasons as to why they're being brought, but you seem to think that my knowledge is limited and coming from rumors as opposed to actual experience.

Oh, your comment about blood being top single target DPS at WoTLK endgame? Yeah, I'm aware of that. I played WoTLK on retail too and had the gearsets for both unholy and frost and switched specs depending on the encounter. Glad you're bringing up "useful information" on content that isn't even out yet on this server.

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
YOU're the one who said Blood is "not a viable" spec - now you say you're aware they're THE top spec. Okay.

As for Unholy tanks. There are two options: either there are some major bugs in Unholy which do not allow it to tank properly or the players on the server are too bad, scared or lazy to try it.

And since I've played UDKs on Dalaran, I know they don't have such bugs. Which leaves us with option #2. I'll gladly add you to Friends on Algalon and do Heroics with you as soon as my own DK reaches 80.

Meanwhile you can read this: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread?79711-Guide-In-depth-look-at-the-DK-tank

ElitistJerks info, I think I saw it posted somewhere around these forums too. If your attitude or opinion is still the same after reading this, then you're not worth my time.

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
And if you think reading that is not worth your time because you know better, then you're DEFINITELY not worth mine.

Treebag @ Kirin Tor
Treebag
2 Night Elf Druid
YOU're the one who said Blood is "not a viable" spec - now you say you're aware they're THE top spec. Okay.

Since you just want to read into statements I made without reading the whole paragraph, I'll clarify it.

Blood is single top DPS at WoTLK endgame. To the best of my knowledge, RS isn't planned on the Algalon server, therefore for Algalon endgame will be ICC. ToC is around the corner but the gear required for Blood to be viable is currently unavailable and won't be available until ICC. Thus my original statement stands clear for Algalon, which is blood is not a viable spec for DPS. In say, seven or nine months from now when ICC is released, that statement could change.

However, it won't change unless the bugs in blood are addressed. I have not personally tested blood since the Argent Tournament dailys came out which had addressed a lot of bug fixes. One of the major bugs that I was aware of at the time was Dancing Rune Weapon and Blood Worms. Blood worms randomly went off attacking everything constantly keeping you stuck in combat. Dancing Rune Weapon was not working properly either, as it wasn't duplicating your attacks. Someone has reported that Dancing Rune Weapon is not attacking training dummies within the last week so there's no way to test it without going into a heroic or a raid. Staff has mentioned incoming class fixes after ToC comes out so hopefully the Blood tree gets looked at.

This will be the last I say on this. Heaven forbid I'm not worth some unknown player's time who hasn't hit 80 yet. Best of luck to you though trying to tank in any serious raid environment as unholy.

Panofsky @ Kirin Tor
Panofsky
5 Night Elf Warrior
Sorry for the off topic but... Where have you red about the fact Ruby Sanctum will not be launched after icc?

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Not going to bother answering, you obviously haven't even read the info I provided and only try to defend your false statements.

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
And btw I'm the one working on reporting Blood atm, including the DRW ignoring dummies.

Bloodworms work perfectly.

Pogchamp @ Kirin Tor
Pogchamp

2 Orc Rogue
cringe @ every single post in here
you guys are absolutely clueless about anything

Buttons @ Kirin Tor
Buttons
1 Blood Elf Paladin
We are having an argument with Treebag. Simply offending people without providing any kind of feedback turns you into nothing more than a troll and makes your post irrelevant.

Bnice @ Kirin Tor
Bnice
1 Draenei Shaman
As an experienced healer I must say for the love of the old gods don't go Unholy tank.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.