Topic

low level Ret tanking

Alences @ Kirin Tor
Alences
1 Undead Warlock
At what point does tanking as Ret become not viable? Obviously I would not want to tank in Outlands while speced as ret. If I were to spec Prot and level that way does it slow down your leveling while not in a dungeon?

Vaim @ Kirin Tor
Vaim
1 Undead Rogue
it absolutely slows down your leveling, so much so you wouldn't even begin to fathom. tanking as ret becomes unviable at around the same time you enter outland, a bit before if youre not taking stam/def as priority alongside str. if you decide to go prot, then be ready for one of the slowest leveling experiences youll ever have, especially in 60+

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
I found levelling as Prot was pretty decent compared to other classes. Just put sanc up on yourself and pull as many mobs as possible when questing.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
I'm going to say, please don't do it.

As a ret, and without full tanking gears, you end up doing small pulls. Any decent dungeon always makes big chain pulls, even in Outland and Northrend. Proper tank, proper healer and three proper non derpson dps make dungeons be FAST. Then comes you, a ret derp derping tanking, squad of mobs at a time.

Anyhow, to answer your question: avoid doing it after 55. Especially avoid doing it at Outlands, and definitely do not do it in Northrend.

Alences @ Kirin Tor
Alences
1 Undead Warlock
I would never think about tanking as ret in outlands or Northrend. I was thinking about it from 15 to about 45. I may try leveling as prot and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Loadsamoney @ Kirin Tor
Loadsamoney
1 Human Paladin
Edited by Loadsamoney on 2015-12-03 22:25:16
I was contemplating it just for Seal of Command, but once you hit 20 (the earliest you can get SoC) and get Consecrate, you won't really need it. Stay Prot and you'll have Holy Shield by 40 (use Seal of Wisdom from 38-64 to help with mana then switch to Vengeance/Corruption), then just mass pull everything and watch them kill themselves on your HS and Consecrate.

Leveling Prot actually becomes much easier once you hit 20, even easier once you hit 40, easier still once you hit 60. Consecrate, Holy Shield, and Hammer of the Righteous make that much of a difference. Avenger's Shield not so much for leveling (but ALL the difference for pulling as a tank).

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.