Topic

Tanking with Seal of Wisdom

Vepar @ Kirin Tor
Vepar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Vepar on 2017-02-20 21:57:58
I have been lvling some alts over the past 2 weeks and i have noticed something strange.
Saw 4 different Prot Paladins lvl ~75 Running dungeons with Seal of Wisdom and i have to ask... Where the fuck did these guys see this? is there some troll guide out there that ppl are reading?

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
I tend to do that whilst RDF levelling too.

Lots of RDF groups want to do things quickly and start pulls when the tank is out of mana, or sit there complaining. As long as the tank can maintain aggro with SoW it is fine and can help decrease breaks.

Arajin @ Kirin Tor
Arajin

2 Human Paladin
Mana issues are quite a problem for leveling paladin tanks. Seal of Wisdom fixes this, and like Cewtypie stated above; if it doesn't affect your aggro-holding capabilities it shouldn't be problem right?

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
Stupid protection! /sigh
I've seen that myself. One guy using BoK and didn't know BoS regenerates his mana and he was using plea quite improperly. Another guy didn't know he had Divine Plea in the first place. My guess is that people roll instant 70 and go hurr durr mode.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
Depending on the pace of the group plea and sanc can still leave you low on mans when leveling. At max level it doesn't matter much since you can make larger pulls and move more quickly to keep plea up.

Vepar @ Kirin Tor
Vepar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Vepar on 2015-10-24 16:58:53
None of them even had points in Spiritual Attunement.
With 2 points in that u can even glyph it if u need to, blessing of sanctuary, divine plea you will not run out of mana.
The sad part is. Spreading Blood Corruption with seal of corruption orauto attacking with command will give u more threat than u will do with Wisdom giving mana and using skills

Panofsky @ Kirin Tor
Panofsky
13 Night Elf Warrior
I've witnessed a prot paladin tanking with seal of wisdom at naxx 25. /cry

Praktikanten @ Kirin Tor
Praktikanten
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Seal of Wisdom is the wisest choice? :)

Loadsamoney @ Kirin Tor
Loadsamoney
1 Human Paladin
I've found that the mana situation of a tanking Paladin can be largely influenced by the type of healer assigned to healing the Paladin. I've always had a hard time managing mana when the healer is a Discipline Priest. They prefer to use bubbles to mitigate incoming damage rather than healing it outright, and fewer heals means less mana restored from Spiritual Attunement. Furthermore, those same bubbles interfere with your ability to score parries, blocks, and dodges, because the damage is absorbed outright and no check is made against your mits, which means no mana gained from Blessing of Sanctuary.

When given a choice, I much prefer to have a Druid, Shaman (Shaman healers are my favorites because of Earth Shield, Chain Heal, and totems), Pally, or Holy Priest as my healer, but Discipline Priests give me mana problems. I wouldn't be surprised if other tank Pallies experience the same issues.

Vepar @ Kirin Tor
Vepar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Been playing a low lvl paladin for a few.days (lvl 72 atm) and mana is not even close to an issue. Disc priests dont give u as much mana as Resto Druids for example. But NEVER have i even considered going for Seal of Wisdom. I thought mana might be a problem cuz u dont get Divine plea right away, but with 2 points in spiritual attunement, judgement of wisdom, blessing of sanctuary, its really not an issue. U can also go with glyph of seal of command for some extra mana if u want but its not needed

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
What Vepar said. I have never had any issues myself at any given level and I have leveled two paladins to mid 70s (one H and one A). This is also relevant to how many mobs a tank pulls. Some folks think they're solo, without a healer and three dps, and they pull as if they're questing and end up not avoiding enough for 2% mana regen.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
When I multibox through Northrend I have mana issues on my Paladin until he gets Divine Plea if I don't use SoW.

I can't pull enough mobs for Sanc to keep it up since he would die too quickly.

There is a genuine case for it depending on the gear of the tank, the capability of the healer and the capability of the dps. No need to whine about it. As long as the tank keeps aggro and has no downtime there is no issue?

Vepar @ Kirin Tor
Vepar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
1st We aren't talking about multiboxing through Northrend.... we are talking about Tanking Dungeons.

2nd Most of those paladins couldn't hold aggro that's why i made this topic.

3rd They didn't even have Spiritual Attunement and some were even using Blessing of Wisdom to make things worse.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
Not gonna feed this troll any further.

Naidira @ Kirin Tor
Naidira
of Quel'Thalas

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Mm. I've witnessed this a number of times in the past four or five months. Protection paladins from 30-77ish, running Blessing of Wisdom and often Seal & Judgment of Light. Sometimes Judgment of Wisdom, but often Light. Defeating their own capacity to regain more mana from outside healing, if they even have Attunement (they often don't).

One was so belligerent when questioned about his tanking that he went off on a tear. When asked why he wasn't at least using Seal of Wisdom if his mana problems were so severe, he furiously denied that there was any such thing -- there was only Judgment of Wisdom. So I linked SoW in chat.

Fun times.

Let's face it -- Paladins are a magnet class for new players, for better and for worse. It can queue as all three roles, sports both active and passive healing, and comes with with defensive cooldowns without talents. You can just about sleep through Elite quest fights. Very easy to pick up and level to nearly 80 without learning much about the class.

A lot of these players are learning and will be perfectly good paladins, but there are certainly those out there that just won't take the twenty minutes to read a 101 on the class and don't want to listen.

Loadsamoney @ Kirin Tor
Loadsamoney
1 Human Paladin
Yeah, the class can be a noob trap, but a Paladin can be absolutely deadly in capable hands and a huge boon to any group, especially a Tank Pally that knows what he's doing.

Drehar @ Kirin Tor
Drehar
1 Dwarf Rogue
I use Seal of Wisdom...
No down time
No mana issues
I can roll my face on the keyboard and keep threat /not run oom.
At level 78 I still do 600-800 single target DPS and 1.5k+ on multi target tanking.
Paladin tanks have the "Blessing" of being able to tank MANY different ways. Having extra mana from wisdom will let you dispel during fights spam stuns consecrate and even rez/heal people between pulls. You can tank with just about any seal except Light.

Speaking of seals has any one ran numbers for seal of righteousness vs Vengeance? I noticed that Righteousness will hit on Hammer swings. ( Hammer damage + Righteousness on each mob) Has any one tested this dps vs tab spamming Vengeance?

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
If I remember correctly then Hammer of the Righteous can proc Vengeance too. Certainly against a single target Vengeance is better. For multiple targets Vengeance is fine too but Righteousness or Command may have slightly higher threat initially.

Drehar @ Kirin Tor
Drehar
1 Dwarf Rogue
On Live this was the case but not here. This has inspired me to do some testing on paladins. I'm going to create a post to better understand the paladin class.

Edzero @ Kirin Tor
Edzero

1 Night Elf Priest
Oh I see. In that case please do.

Jade @ Kirin Tor
Jade
No Characters
To note, as a Holy Pal - some Paladin tanks don't take enough damage outright to be constantly healed, thus restoring mana pool. Have a friend that rolled with SoW for mana simply because he wasn't taking any damage so I was really only hitting him with shock occasionally.

Really depends on circumstances and the person behind the character. There's certainly lots of derps, but therein is the issue with private servers. Loads of players are used to buggy and glitchy servers that don't function properly, and therefore have adapted other ways of playing that "don't seem right" when you're playing on a server that does function properly. Best we can do is make an attempt to educate those that don't understand. Those that get ragey, leave them to their angst.

Why waste your energy eyetwitching for the way other people play the game?

Balina @ Kirin Tor
Balina
55 Dwarf Paladin
If a Pally tank is not running with BoS, then they need to delete that toon and roll something else. Nice topic, next!

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.