Topic

Ret tank till 40?

Fenerex @ Kirin Tor
Fenerex
1 Tauren Druid
I realize Prot starts getting some good talents late 20's, and Sanctuary is amazing, but in Ret I can tank OR DPS like a madman, while in Prot I can tank and that's it. It seems like Ret gives me twice the flexibility. I know I'll be taking more damage, but it seems like the increased threat and aggro management should help make up for it. Seems like any decent healer should be able to keep me up without too much suffering, and I can reward the party with more control and more damage.

Is my plan inappropriate? Should I be lynched? Ret tanking seems clearly superior in the 20's, but in the 30's I'm having my doubts, and I don't want to be a baddie. Would you be unhappy if your 30's tank was ret?

Tarpor @ Kirin Tor
Tarpor

10 Blood Elf Paladin
In wotlk you usually want to do bigger pulls and AoE them down, ret can't do this and would take more damage, meaning your healer might need more manabreaks. More downtime, slower pulls, I wouldn't like it myself.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
There was a topic about this already.

Simply put, it's not worth it. Never is. As Tarpor said, you want to make big pulls, as big as you dare to, or your group is capable (e.g. three ele shamans or fire mages = you pull almost whole dungeon sometimes). ret can "pass" as a tank before 30 with slow pace, but definitely not afterwards. Just no.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
To be fair, before 30, you can spec into Ret for Deflection and Seal of Command (and glyph it too maybe?) and remain so until you get 30 for BoS.

Zivadinka @ Kirin Tor
Zivadinka

1 Human Priest
Taken i'm not a paladin main, I may be missing some solid info and whatnot, but here It is:

Myself leveled a paladin (well, still am), and i've decided to try ret tanking - it went more than okay for me. That is, I did have full heirlooms with enchants (excluding the ring), with crusader enchant as well.

Imo there's no bigger difference up untill level 40 or so - i've had no problems being healed whatsoever.. Then again, I suppose healers i've had were on top of their game.

After 40 fun starts - Art of War procs which you can use to heal yourself and give your healer a bit easier job. Even more fun starts few levels past that - Crusader Strike, which can also crit, and Sheath of Light procs for that extra healing.

With all this being said, I quickly realised I can actually solo certain instances, which it was the case - From around level 51 or so up to 57 all I did was solo BRD - Up to seven dwarves which I couldn't pass since they're on a set timer and I didn't had the damage to kill the current one before next one engages. This sounds dull and boring, but for me it was actually enjoyable (i'm perhaps the only one who doesn't hate BRD, I know). From 57 to 59 I was in Stratholme live (last boss is piss easy since you can keep him feared when he morphs into Dreadlord).

Wouldn't recommend this past Vanilla content though - tried it once in Ramparts, I spent more time dead than alive.

All in all, if you know what you're doing, feel free to tank as ret up to Outlands. Amazing thing is that while you're not in instances, you still have ret to quest faster.

In the end, i'd like to note again that i'm not a paladin main, this was just my experience with leveling one. Perhaps prot is better, I didn't go for it since I handled ret more than okay.

Cheers, Nadreeh

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Bladesong on 2016-04-18 20:33:02
Nadreeh...no one said that ret can't tank. It was a question about efficiency. As an example I have given in a similar topic, I don't see you pulling either whole Scarlet Cathedral or half of it (or one-third if your level is minimum of required in RDF) and staying alive. Even if you had anyone to slow down the mobs you got threat on so you can safely reach destination point A where you'd stop and tank them as your party AoEs them down, Divine Protection will get you only "so" far.

Or since you have given BRD as your example, let's take only prison wing as an example - can you as ret pull all mobs to the boss and tank all of them, so "dungeon" lasts less than 60 seconds? It's not just taking the threat, it's keeping it also - you need to get healed after all, and that can lose you threat and you have to stop before it's your due time.

Zivadinka @ Kirin Tor
Zivadinka

1 Human Priest
Reason i've said in advance that i am no where near paladin expert or that i've tried prot. Just explained that it's doable, at least for me it was.

As for prison example, entire - no, half, yes. Besides, even if you were to pull the entire instance, you never know who's behind the other screen & how much beer he/she had.I don't think it makes much difference between having a dungeon last less than 60 seconds and lasting 3 min tops, when you can wait 30 mins+ waiting in queue as a tank. (Just to add, in case you die pulling entire prison in BRD, run back & killing it again takes longer than 2 pulls to clear it.)

Another reason i've said "If you know what you're doing" was about the threat issue. If you rotate properly taunt + righteous defense you can always keep mobs off party members (In case you drop aggro on them for some reason).

Novastar @ Kirin Tor
Novastar

1 Human Paladin
Just pick Seal of Command from ret spec, use Glyph of command to get mana each judgement and then go full prot.

Grenarus @ Kirin Tor
Grenarus
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, prot is almost useless before cap. You can tank all classics non-raids with retri. With slight exception of Blackrock 5-ppl, which has fat packs, but if your paty has good CC - even this dangeoun can be cleared with retry. All what matters is armor and stamina. Any one who saying otherwise - scrub, ho isn't knowing what he talking about.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.