Topic

Protection warrior question

Chela @ Kirin Tor
Chela
1 Troll Mage
Hello i am new to the server i would like to ask is it worth it to lvl up prot war?.Does it work as it should be (unlike lolmane critical block bug ) and if there are any bugs.Thanks in advance.

Timoschi @ Kirin Tor
Timoschi

1 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Timoschi on 2015-08-15 11:03:45
Hello, I've asked ingame and people told me prot warrior works as intended. Still I'm interested in further confirmation.

Aldrideron @ Kirin Tor
Aldrideron

1 Undead Mage
From everything I've seen in raids they work as intended. However they are the last class you want tanking, wrath was not the expansion to be a warrior tank.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
I'm not actively playing my warrior in PvE for a year or so, and due to the nature of bugs (they come and go), don't take my words for granted.

To answer your question, critical block was working during realm opening, but I haven't checked it in the last year or so.

From talents, one-handed weapon specialization is reported on bugtracker as no working, so its perma 10% damage/threat loss. Titan's grip is not giving 10% damage reduction. Recklessness sometimes bugs out, and it will never affect Shockwave and 1 more ability (rip prot PvP). There are probably other major/minor bugs, but none are coming to my mind at this moment.

Although, warrior tanks are very much disliked on this server. Part from bad specs and bad playing AND bad raid setups; and part due to warriors being a "paper tank". And Paladins can solo tank some bosses in Ulduar where warriors need rogue/hunter support, so its additional QQ.

Groshank @ Kirin Tor
Groshank
1 Orc Shaman
In my experience, warriors are currently not desired because paladins can solo tank some content in Ulduar that warriors can't.

They are okay tanks, nothing too broken in them, they just take a bit more damage in lower gear and they are harder to play. Them being harder to play is one of the reasons people dislike taking warriors tanks, taking a paladin is a safer bet because it's easier to play.

If you want to roll a warrior, don't let anyone stop you, there are far from being that bad that you can't do all the content with it and they excel in fights where a lot of mobility is required.

Oraia @ Kirin Tor
Oraia

10 Orc Warrior
Paladins might be prefered class to be tankers during Woltk, however in retail i tanked with my warrior mostly all raids, OS, EoE, Naxx, WG, ToC(raid, not the five man thingy), and ICC. And back then no one questioned my class. I think it comes down to the person behind the keyboard, if you're bad at your class then of course the tanking will be bad as well, kind of walks hand in hand.

So if you want to roll a warrior for tanking, do it.

Shinizu @ Kirin Tor
Shinizu

1 Undead Priest
I'd think he might have figured it out since the this thread is 10 month old ;)

Oraia @ Kirin Tor
Oraia

10 Orc Warrior
@Shinizu.
Yeah, but even if this post is old I figured if anyone else reads this they might not be discouraged about making a warrior for tanking.

Hicks @ Kirin Tor
Hicks
5 Orc Hunter
funny thing is, i also played a warrior back in retal. and the gereal thing was, "warrs r bad a tanking" no we are not, its just a bit harder then an insta agro faceroll specc the pala has.
so yeah its a bit harder to get and hold agro (like dps has to wait 5 secs, which is kinda hard for some)

i recently started a druid tank and have to sy i love him, for now im not going to relvel a warrior, but thats my personal thing....

Oraia @ Kirin Tor
Oraia

10 Orc Warrior
@Hicks
Glad you feel that way about your druid. I have one myself, mostly in Treeform and Rdps. I can't say that I enjoy the tanking part of the druid as much as I did with my warrior. And like you said, as warrior tanking you have to be more all over the place then the faceroll paladin who throws shield and consecration and then just stands there ( i have a paladin aswell). And as warrior, we need those extra 5 seconds to gather mobs to gather aggro to maintain them at our side. But if you have trigger happy hunters or other Rdps in the group you will have mobs running around all over. But that the downside of being a tank.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
Threat is not the problem. Recklessness, Heroic Throw, Shield Block+Shield Slam and revenge/HS gets the threat nicely.

The problem is class design. When it comes to boss tanking, paladins have passive 30% block increase via Holy Shield, which along with the rest of the stats gets paladins avoidance-capped. What won't be dodged or parried will get blocked, or the attack will otherwise miss the protadin altogether; the fact that additional 30% block chance can happen 10% of the times paladin is struck allows the cap to be present even in dungeons at nearly all times while leveling. Instant automatic Ardent Defender is not helping.

Warriors don't have that. Sure, warriors have powerful Shield Block ability and Critical Block talent, so if one stacks BV and one can get to 5k, that means 10k normal block for 10sec every 40 + there's 60% chance to block double the amount, a very crafty 20k block chance. But its not constant avoidance, and there is no death saving tool that's automatic. Last Stand, Shield Wall and Shield Block (and Enraged Regeneration) must all be activated "on time". Recognizing incoming damage is important, as well as cordinations with healers. And additionally, to make use of Safeguard talent as an added raid defensive CD, the other tank in the raid needs to have /cancelaura Intervene macro somewhere in order not to let YOU die when attacks are too stronk. I've met but one tank player with the macro and he was playing feral dps.

And that's aside from all the buffs and utility the paladin brings: increased armor aura, +6% healing received, good Sacred Shield, Divine Sacrifice and all the hand spells. Warrior needs a proper setup and full support - now this is not a bad thing since most of those buffs are present in every raid, but it stands to a fact that Paladins have 70% of things on their own already.

There's nothing bad with warrior tanking, but one definitely cannot go autopilot like protadins can do. One needs to pay attention to incoming damage, take note of incoming heals via addon and keep them fingers hovering near the defensive abilities. I'm not saying that protadin can sleep, I'm saying that warrior won't be saved by a talent or ability that's on autopilot sequence.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.