Topic

3.3.5 Warrior Leveling Guide

Vook @ Kirin Tor
Vook

1 Draenei Priest
Edited by Vook on 2016-04-20 05:44:25
Just like with my Priest leveling guide, I decided to make this because I didn't really see any here on the forum.

As most will tell you, the best way to level a Warrior is with Protection spec.

What? Leveling with a tank spec? That's fucking dumb!

Yeah, I thought the same thing before I started, but there's a variety of reasons why Prot is the best:

-Less damage taken leads to less downtime / less bandages used
-Ability to easily pull 4+ mobs, leading to faster kill times overall
-Revenge. This is the biggest reason to level Prot. Explained more below.
-Queue as tank and get fast dungeon queues (of course, depending on how many other people are online at the moment)
-Pretty much unkillable in 1-on-1 PvP at lower levels, due to the plethora of defensive CDs. (I had no problems killing people who were even 5-8 levels higher than me, only using Shield Block, Last Stand and a bandage)
-Being able to use Charge and Intercept in combat, in any stance, with a talent
-Getting a short-CD stun, and at level 60, an even shorter CD stun

While Fury and Arms are good with single target damage, Prot excels with AoE damage, at least around lower levels. Imp. Thunderclap is only a little more damage, but Imp. Revenge will really give you good multi-target damage. Revenge already hits really hard by itself; this talent not only gives it +60% damage, but makes it hit two targets for full damage! Revenge hits way harder than any other ability (except Bladestorm), which is why it's best to level Prot. With the talent, I found that a non-crit Revenge was hitting harder than a crit Mortal Strike or Overpower. Pretty insane!

Past 40, Arms and Fury start to catch up, but Prot still remains viable.

---------------------------

TALENTS

Most of the stuff is pretty self-explanitory. Pick up Shield Specialization, Imp. Thunderclap, Incite, Imp. Revenge, Shield Mastery, etc...pretty much all of the damage-increasing talents and useful damage reduction talents. It's not too hard to figure out, even if you're new to Warrior.

Sample talent specs:

Level 19: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LZZmI

Level 29: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LZZVIzroc

Level 39: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LZZVIzrxczV

Level 49: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LZZVIkrxczVdI

Level 60: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LZZVIkrxczVdIzsGo

It's not too difficult; Patch 3.3 talents are self-explanitory.

GLYPHS

There are a few pretty useful glyphs for both Prot and Arms:

*Glyph of Cleave: Makes Cleave hit 3 targets instead of 2

*Glyph of Revenge: After using Revenge, your next Heroic Strike has no rage cost

*Glyph of Victory Rush: +30% crit chance on Victory Rush

*Glyph of Sweeping Strikes: Removes the rage cost of Sweeping Strikes

*Glyph of Rend: +6 seconds on Rend

*Glyph of Mortal Strike: +10% damage on Mortal Strike

I used Cleave + Revenge(changed Devastate at 50) for Prot, and Victory Rush + Mortal Strike for Arms. Sweeping Strikes glyph can be useful for dungeons, though.

LEVEL 10-40

To begin with, you'll want to be in Defensive stance pretty much all the time, because Revenge requires it. 1h weapon + shield, as well.

Since your single target damage is kinda "meh", you will want to be AoE pulling at least 2-3 mobs, as often as possible. The more mobs you have on you, the more Revenge procs you'll get. I find that with at least 4 mobs on you, you'll be able to use Revenge on CD. If you're only fighting 1 mob, you'll have a much harder time getting a block/dodge/parry for Revenge, thus resulting in much slower kill times.

Once you get Shield Block, you'll want to be using that a lot as well. 100% block chance and 2x block value will make you pretty much invincible against melee attacks, and grant you at least 3 Revenge procs during its duration.

But really, it's pretty straight forward for the most part. Run around and aggro mobs, use Thunderclap and Revenge on CD, maybe throw in some Rends here and there, Cleave or Heroic Strike if you have over 40 rage...not much to it.

Vook @ Kirin Tor
Vook

1 Draenei Priest
Edited by Vook on 2016-04-16 03:36:58
LEVEL 40-60
Once you hit 40, it's pretty good to get dual spec if you can afford it, along with a nice 2h (Nightblade or Fiery War Axe; I chose Nightblade since it was way cheaper) and use it for quests that have mobs too spread out to effectively AoE pull them. With Arms, you've got really sick single target damage with stuff like Overpower, Mortal Strike, and Deep Wounds. Plus you've got a nice rage generator with Charge, and a rage-free, high-crit-chance(glyphed) Victory Rush every time you kill a mob.

Sample Arms spec at 40: http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#LhrcbfIzV0oo

Your general rotation here will be:

Charge -> Rend -> Mortal Strike (or Victory Rush, or just wait if you don't have 30 rage) -> Overpower -> Victory Rush / Heroic Strike / Autoattack or what have you, until the mob is dead

With decent crit RNG (Overpower's got a base 50% chance with the talent, heh) mobs should die in under 10 seconds. You will take noticeably more damage than Prot, but as long as you're keeping your First Aid up to date, your downtime should only be the 6-8 seconds it takes to bandage. If you've got the gold for it, I'd really recommend powerleveling First Aid so you can use higher level bandages than your current cloth level; being able to bandage for 100% of your health just completely eliminates the need to use food items. And is quite useful in PvP, as you can use Intimidating Shout and then bandage for at least half your health, if you've got no DoTs on you.

Prot's single target damage doesn't catch up to Arms until you get Devastate at 50. If you're like me and the crit RNG of Arms frustrates you, then stick with Prot at 50. However, once you get past 60 with Arms and start getting Cruelty, as well as BC gear that has lots of agi/crit on it, you won't get fucked over by crit RNG as often.

LEVEL 60+

At 60, Fury also becomes a very good choice. Dual-wielding 2h weapons, you'll just wreck mobs just as fast, maybe a little faster than Arms, with much better survivability, due to the healing you get with Bloodthirst. However, I found that I was often ragestarved, having just enough rage to use Bloodthirst and Whirlwind when they came off CD. Whirlwind is pretty sick DPS in dungeons though, what with how it hits 4 mobs.

Basically, past 60, any spec will do fine. I tried out all three specs for at least two whole levels, during 58-70, and they all work perfectly fine. Ultimately settled on Arms for general questing and Prot for dungeons and quests that have lots of grouped-up mobs, as well as elite quests. With Prot's high survivability and great damage, you can solo most elite quests, with good use of cooldowns and bandage.

USEFUL MACROS

This will switch you to Battle Stance and cast Retaliation.

#showtooltip Retaliation
/cast Battle Stance
/cast Retaliation

A bit more advanced; this one will attempt to use Pummel or Shield Bash, depending on your stance and equipped weapons.
If you're not in Berserker Stance, and you don't have a shield equipped, it will switch you to Berserker Stance and use Pummel.
If you ARE wearing a shield, it will cast Shield Bash instead.

#showtooltip Pummel
/cast [stance:1/2,noequipped:Shields] Berserker Stance; [stance:1/2,equipped:Shields] Shield Bash; [stance:3] Pummel
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

Once you get the Warbringer talent, you can use this just to save a keybind. It'll use Charge if you're not in melee range, and Revenge if you are.

#showtooltip Revenge
/cast Charge
/cast Revenge

These two make use of the default equipment manager, just to avoid having to type in weapon names and fuck about with /equipslot and such. Just replace "Tank" and "Arms" with the names of your tanking and DPS sets.

This one will switch you to Defensive Stance, equip your sword+shield, and cast Shield Block. Remember that Shield Block will disappear if you switch out of defensive stance!

showtooltip Shield Block
/cast Defensive Stance
/equipset Tank
/cast Shield Block

And then this one will switch you back to Battle Stance, and your DPS set.

/equipset Arms
/cast Battle Stance

If you're in combat, it will only switch your weapons, obviously. Which is all you need, to use Shield Block.

Lastly, I'm not saying this is the absolute best and fastest way to level, it's just the way I leveled, and I found it very easy. With BoA chest+shoulder and the BoA 1h sword, I went 1-80 in about 5 days /played.

Magar @ Kirin Tor
Magar
1 Tauren Druid
I love this guide, I intend on using it to level up a fresh warrior. When you say BoA gear, am I right to assume you mean the heirloom gear that can be acquired through voting/donation points? Would you recommend any specific race for a prot warrior based on faction, or would any do?

Vook @ Kirin Tor
Vook

1 Draenei Priest
Edited by Vook on 2016-04-19 23:29:45
Yeah, BoA = account-bound gear. The stuff you get from Heroism badge vendor, or Vote points.

http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=48685 - Chest
http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=42949 - Shoulder
http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=42945 - 1h Sword
http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=50255 - Ring

If you have an 80 already, spend your vote points on the ring, and just farm heroics for badges to buy the chest/shoulder/weapon. The ring can only be acquired from the STV fishing tournament, IIRC. Not sure if that's even implemented on this server.

For prot, Tauren is the best choice due to racial +5% health, and you also get an AoE stun which can save you when you're tanking a lot of stuff and taking tons of damage.

Magar @ Kirin Tor
Magar
1 Tauren Druid
Should I go for a profession like Herbalism/Alchemy, or just ignore it until I reach 80 and then focus on power-leveling it up?

Vook @ Kirin Tor
Vook

1 Draenei Priest
Edited by Vook on 2016-04-20 05:51:42
I leveled Mining/Eng while leveling without any issues.

You're going to have to do it *eventually*, so you might as well do it while you're leveling, because you're already there in the zones where those herbs are.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.