Topic

One easy way to fix pvp

Hamishator @ Kirin Tor
Hamishator

1 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't allow people to disable experience in pvp.

I'll give you some background. I'm new to the server. Lvl 24 horde priest. Been here about a week and I've been wondering why there is never any pvp. I log on this morning and see there are almost 900 hordes online with 73 in my level bracket. More then enough to start a bg, even if most people on the server like pve surely there is at least 5/73 who would want to do some pvp.

So I ask my guild why there is never any pvp before 80 and I say to them 'I should make an alliance and encourage them to join as well' to which one of my guildies replies 'Great, I can go jump on my alliance 19 twink rogue and pvp with you'. And of course I groan and say forget about it.

Simply put, twinking is great fun for the twink but kills it for everyone else. I've made plenty of twinks in my time. One of my fondest memories is rolling 50/0 on a lvl 19 pally and I have leveled at least 4 characters from 10-80 mostly through pvp. But I realize as much fun as that was for me, for the other team I was camping it was a nightmare. Even for my own team it wasn't much fun just watching me roll them without helping much. In real wow where you could often have 15 wsg's going at once it wasn't a big deal if people got annoyed and didn't sign up again but on this realm with a lower population we need everyone.

Here are the reasons I hear for why we should allow twinks:
- Haterz will hate. And yes this is the reason I was given today by my guildy :P This has the attitude of 'well you're just jealous because you can't make a twink too'. Well that's not it at all. I want to level to 80 and do it while pvping and gaining exp. Stopping my exp just so I can also be a twink (that never gets to play in a bg anyway because they don't exist) just doesn't make sense.
- It's not fair. Yes twinks are all about equality. If we ban the twinks then that's just not fair. If twinks can't play in bgs then no one gets to.
- The twinks will all leave the game. Of course we are always looking to increase our population and we can't risk losing anyone, even our twinks.

The problem with all these reasons is that at the moment twinks don't even exist. I mean for a twink to exist you need battlegrounds and since there aren't any bgs pre-80 then there aren't any twinks. It's not like you ever see a 19 rogue sitting there at the AH for 8 hours waiting for their bg to pop. No, at the moment there are no twinks. They don't exist. So if we were to stop people from disabling exp then those people with twinks will either just play them and level in a bg or not play them (which they're not doing atm anyway)

My reasons for enabling exp for all players are:
- It will increase our population. Right now we are mostly a pve server. Who knows how many more people will come when they learn we are a pve server with dedicated pvpers and constant bgs. Guaranteed there are a lot of nice players on molten or other servers that would come here if we had pvp.
- It will keep our population. I know that after getting my priest to 80 through grinding quests and rdf it's going to be a hard slog to try and do it all again with a 2nd character without pvp. I honestly don't think I could do it all again. I bet there are a lot of veteran players who leave the server because they get bored.
- We already have the population, but they don't want to pvp. Like I said earlier 73 in the 20-29 bracket, over 100 in the 10-19 bracket. There are heaps of lowbies and I find it hard to believe not even 5-10 of them want to do a bg. They probably do, but don't want to sign up because they know if they do then along will come that lvl 19 rogue to camp them, so what's the point.
- It's more Blizzlike. That's right. If you weren't around I'll let you know that before wotlk wow had no exp for pvp. My first character was actually a 39 twink mage. At the start I was only of the only twinks in my bracket but as things went along more and more people caught on to the fun and by the end 7/10 people in most brackets were twinks. So Blizzard enabled exp and that stopped the twinks (Yes you would see people with good gear, but you knew sooner or later they would level and move on, so you could tolerate them and wait until they left). Then of course the twinks complained which is why they enabled you to disable exp but you got put in a separate queue to the normals. If we were being truly blizzlike then that's what we would do. Allow exp to be taken off but the twinks get put in a different queue.

So to sum up this long post I say, what do we have to lose? Right now there is no pvp before 80. We won't be getting rid of any population because without pvp the twink population doesn't even exist. Why not try it for a month or two. See if people start more pvp, see if the 10-50 population increases, see if we attract new subscribers and donaters. If it doesn't work we can easily go back but I honestly think this will fix the problem.

So who agrees with me?
And who has a good reason not to? Honestly, if you have a good reason I would like to hear it.

Yours truly,

Hamishator

Kiwago @ Kirin Tor
Kiwago

11 Troll Hunter
Very few people ever stop to consider queueing a battleground on this server, even at 80. Prior to the release of random dungeon finder, you would see an occassional bg that wasn't for lvl 80s. This was usually in the 70 bracket and was pretty rare. These brackets now won't pop because of rdf. And disabling the experience disabler isn't going to change the lower level brackets.

Sweglord @ Kirin Tor
Sweglord

1 Human Mage
is level 24 -> wonders why no pvp -> u wot

Hamishator @ Kirin Tor
Hamishator

1 Blood Elf Paladin
How do you know that people wouldn't do pvp? You get almost as much exp from a bg as from a rdf, if you're actually getting kills not just being farmed by twinks.

There are heaps of people out there that like pvp, I don't know why you would just assume that everyone wants to do rdf for 70 levels. Some people enjoy just playing the game no madly leveling to 80.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
I wouldn't know myself why people don't queue, but it was way more nicer before RDF. Generally I guess its "there are no BGs happening, so I won't queue anyway", and then comes that twink that outgears (and sometimes even totally outplays) the other team and its /ragequit, back to questing or grinding.

Players need motivation, as always. I'd personally increase the XP gain from the BGs and introduce a script that would announce (in a separate channel, so its not spammy) when Horde or Alliance is ready for X bracket, from 10 to 80.

Also, twinking is boring, unless its twink-only BG what Blizzard introduced in cata or whenever. Before that...blah. Look at me one shotting ppl with ambush, I'm so good, ho ho ho...ffs I lasted three weeks with my "accidental" 49 twink before moving on.

Anyhow... TL;DR version, RDF kills BGs. Script to announce "A/H is ready!" would be beneficial, as well as XP gain increase. Otherwise, poop.

Galtrailer @ Kirin Tor
Galtrailer

1 Orc Warrior
Well 1st : There is few 19 lvl twink guilds on Horde side (example[FUN]) and at least 1 on alliance side ([19 inch unbuffed]). I got 2 best in slot twinks, each on different side. I am almost every time queued to BG on my BOTH twinks when I play the game. You may have seen my advertising's at global ''10-19 lvls queue up on BG''...
I got human warrior Kiurumestari and troll rogue Ettan. Feel free to add and ask for tips & advice!

Galtrailer @ Kirin Tor
Galtrailer

1 Orc Warrior
I don't see anything reasonable reason to ruin 19 level twinks. I agree that you could boost XP gained in BG's but NOT remove the ''XP freeze'' option from the Twinks. That would just piss off people and be very un-blizzlike move, since (correct me if I am wrong) the 19 lvl twinking got spoiled on early Cataclysm or very late of WotLK..

Hamishator @ Kirin Tor
Hamishator

1 Blood Elf Paladin
I had no idea there were twink guilds Tataryus. How often do you get bgs to happen? I've been here a bit over a week but I still haven't seen a single bg in any bracket over 80, not even once. And everyone I have talked to in /global has said they don't exist.

I think Bladesong got the right of it. Having twinks and normals together just isn't much fun for anyone. Keep the freeze fine, but give twinks separate queues. The alliance and horde twink guilds can have their battles and not fear lvling accidentally and there rest of us can get back to pvp without fear of getting camped. I stopped playing when cata came out and by then they had introduced exp, allowed you to freeze it and created separate queues for twinks and normals. It all happened during wotlk so I do believe it would be blizzlike for us to create separate queues.

Peith @ Kirin Tor
Peith

1 Tauren Druid
This is a bad idea for starters, and it won't be implemented because of this one reason:

It's not blizzlike.

Hamishator @ Kirin Tor
Hamishator

1 Blood Elf Paladin
Feel like explaining that statement Peith? The whole purpose Blizzard even brought in exp in pvp was to get rid of twinks because they were ruining the game and they needed a separate battleground then with the normals. Seems like my idea is completely blizzlike so please don't just throw random statements out there without giving a reason.

@ Kirin Tor

All Races All Class
Meh @ wow pvp. mehx10 at it.

Wonderbolt @ Kirin Tor
Wonderbolt

80 Human Paladin
Bump for the idea of Bladesong : Script to announce "A/H is ready!" even for lvl 80.
Same for arenas (with the MMR displayed).

Oxford @ Kirin Tor
Oxford
1 Human Warrior
+1 to the script idea. Also, last time i played wsg in 10-19 bracket i got no experience whatsoever. So making it possible to level through battlegrounds would give incentive to players to queue.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.