Topic

To all dumdums who undercut prices at AH

Torbay @ Kirin Tor
Torbay
80 Troll Shaman
Hello my friends, I come with a message coming from the deepest corners of my little, greedy heart.

Let's talk about Silk Cloth. Just for example.
One day, I saw a terrible atrocity. Someone auctioned several stacks of Silk Cloth for 15g. Driven by the pure love I've thought to myself: "Who's gonna buy it when majority of ppl, needing Silks are not wealthy enough to stand up to this price?". BUT THEN, he showed up. One hero, one man, who loved the community with the same greed and empathy like me. He rebelled against "15g dictator" and auctioned 3 stacks of Silk for 7g. It may be still a little too much, but the price quickly became more common amongst Auctioners. So, FOR THE PAST WEEK, we've been minding our own buisness, gettin $$$ and making other hordies "happy". Everyone was satisfied.

And I know what some of you may think: "Torbay, I can lower the price for about one gold and I won't hurt the current state of the market. I would also get some quick money. Everyone will be happy too"

So begins the undercutting. I've seen it all before. Some Rockefellers always undercut just a little and then other ones do the same. In the past, I had to sell Netherweaves ( on the other servers ofc ) for, wait for it, ~1g. I've farmed and I cried, but in the end I stood victorious to the mobs I've grinded. Not in AH, tho. Thanks to undercutting.

It's not some kind of battlecry against undercutters, I don't want to start some kind of war, full of hatred and grammar mistakes from underage monopolists. I love you guys, I really do. We all play this game for the sense of pure enjoyement, for the true Wrath of the Lich King experience. This message, of course, doesn't apply only to Silk Cloths. Let's be honest. It will spread, you know it guys. You are, deep inside, a very considerate group of mature people. You know how to overcome various obstacles of life with your unmatched cunning also known as common sense.

DO NOT undercut.

It's for the good of the market. For the good of Azeroth.

For the good of Dalaran-WoW.

Stay away from da voodoo,
Torbay

Gemini @ Kirin Tor
Gemini

75 Blood Elf Priest
Well you know mate, business is business :) I agree that this kind of behavior is damaging to the server's economy to some extent, but I guess it will pick up once we gain more population and some people that really like to play the market will show up. Then they will buy those cheap products and resell them for huge profits and then the market auto-regulation process can start. Because as of now (from what you describe), all are busy leveling up and they just want to sell the junk from their grinding for more than they would get from some NPC - any price will do. This will disappear once someone starts monitoring it for profit and once more people are at the endgame, IMO.

Brooke @ Kirin Tor
Brooke

70 Undead Rogue
Well you talk about Silk cloth for 7g, I have different story

Mageweave for 60g a STACK! Can you be more greedy?
Remember this server have not been up for more than 2-months, and who have like thousands on thousands golds in their backpack yet? I know it's hard to guess a price on items, but for god sake, 60g for 20 mageweave..

Even tho we got low lvl items. Overpriced because someone have no experience with economy. I can give you one tip. GREENS = 2x Vendor price. BLUES = 5x Vendor price. EPIC 10x Vendor Price.

Kravica @ Kirin Tor
Kravica
the Kingslayer

80 Tauren Druid
Ur 1 of dumbasses that are making prices way 2 much ,think on ppl that arent 80s and cant afordit it and 7g for silk cloth is almost normal

Torbay @ Kirin Tor
Torbay
80 Troll Shaman
Yeah, the regulation process is inevitable, but this topic is not only about repairing the current state of our sweet goldmine a.k.a AH. It's also about teaching some manners. It can end in two ways - one way you have shown, which is somewhat a natural process in the market. The other one is far worse. It can come to a state when a small group of AH players will be forced to consant regualtion, caused by the #YOLO undercutters which do not understand that AH is not supposed to be a quick source of money. It's should be a steady one. And I've seen ( and felt too, by the amount of gold I had, which was close to zero at one point ) that situation a couple of times. Like, epic gems for about 5g during the progression of Naxx content.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I am happy to see a feedback from a fellow guildmate and also a considerate fellow. Let's hope that it will end in the way you've shown.

Keep it real,
Torbay

Torbay @ Kirin Tor
Torbay
80 Troll Shaman
@Srbadinka

I am sticking to the 7g prices too. But it starts to fall down now. Thanks to undercutting.
I also think that 15g too much, which can be read from my post to be honest.

Heimerdinger @ Kirin Tor
Heimerdinger

78 Gnome Mage
In the past, I had to sell Netherweaves ( on the other servers ofc ) for, wait for it, ~1g.

Why Auction Netherweave for 1g when it vendors for 1g 60s a stack?

Torbay @ Kirin Tor
Torbay
80 Troll Shaman
@Heimerdinger

It was some kind of protest from my side and it failed, of course.
And 1~g was about 1,20. I was willing to take that 40s sacrifice.

Honestly, it was one of my dumbest ideas.

But, the past is the past.

Merry Christmas,
Torbay

Gemini @ Kirin Tor
Gemini

75 Blood Elf Priest
Edited by Gemini on 2013-09-18 12:46:19
Well hopefully, once more people are on the cap (which is not the case at all currently ), there will be lack of low- and mid-level resources, leading to higher prices. One thing is when you have several stacks of cloth from questing and just put it on the AH for the little extra money, so you undercut (which is quick source of money). Completely different scenario emerges when you are at max level and need it to catch up your tradeskills.

Anyway, from my retail experience, Ah is always a tool for cap players - even leveling BoE items cost several dozens or hundreds of gold on retail servers. No first-timer without a capped friend can afford this kind of investment, given its recurring nature.

And as an advice - if you really hate the undercutters, you might install Auctioneer and start the market game by yourself ;) As they say - offense is the best defense. Anyway, cheers and thanks for trying to bring some great ideas to the community!

Sephira @ Kirin Tor
Sephira

80 Draenei Shaman
love the tittle torby hahaha

to all dumdum hahaha made my day

Cathy @ Kirin Tor
Cathy
74 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish people put Book of Glyph mastery in AH like they do cloths... and a lot undercuts it... then I would be very happy buying all of them...

/opens auction
/search book of glyph mastery
/no item found
/cries

Darkarchon @ Kirin Tor
Darkarchon
1 Undead Priest
The polite approach would be to price items appropriate to the level range one would naturally be able to attain them.

A level 25 would not have 7g+ to spare buying 1 stack of cloth

If you want a new server to develop and you care about the community then it makes sense people will "undercut" by charging reasonable prices to allow the leveling people to level their professions as they go, or to even sell their spare stuff to have enough coin to train :)

But I'm sure this is more humourous topic than practical one.

Supply and demand is as is always has been :)

Paracetamol @ Kirin Tor
Paracetamol

80 Tauren Druid
[And] So far there s no demand. I have yet been able to sell anything on the AH.

This is completly understandable for a young sever, with people focused on their leveling and are happy to grind out the materials and gear they need for profesions. Until all the alts come through funded by rich mains that are to lazy to do runs and start to buy the gear.

Though there are some great bargins happening at the moment, too bad I cant afford them!

Torbay @ Kirin Tor
Torbay
80 Troll Shaman
@Darkarchon and Paracetamol

Thank you for replying! :)

I can see your point. To be honest, I may be sometimes overracting to the process of undercutting, because I've seen this stuff happening too much on fully developed servers.
I also forget about the fact that a huge poriton of players now, on Dalaran-WoW, are those who are still lvling their chars.

But as I said, I made this topic, because I really don't want them to GET USED to undercutting.

this topic is not only about repairing the current state of our sweet goldmine a.k.a AH. It's also about teaching some manners

I just don't want them do become dumdums, who will be still using this "advanced AH tactic" on daily basis, especially when the server grows to a decent state.
Because becomin' a dumdum is the first step to not staying away from da voodoo.
And you must always stay away from da voodoo.

Be cool mons,
Torbay

Gemini @ Kirin Tor
Gemini

75 Blood Elf Priest
Hello, I just found this article that deals with undercutting in a constructive manner, feel free to learn more about the issue.

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.