Topic

IMPORTANT: Vote for the gear restriction.

Lothloryen @ Kirin Tor
Lothloryen
Staff Member
Edited by Lothloryen on 2014-02-10 02:09:35
Hello Citizens of Dalaran,

Since the start of this project our idea has been to try and give you the opportunity to experience all the WotLK raids in the way they were the moment they were created. No matter when you join the Algalon realm, for every player the first raid will be like it was in it's hardest form, since no one in the raid will be outgearing the raid itself. This way the feeling of participation in that raid will be much more present than if the rest of your partners are geared with the best gear available in this expansion (3.3.5a).

With that we would like to avoid one weekly fast boost until the last available raid, and with that fortify the guild spirit and the guild competition. This way we are trying to increase the partnership amongst players and the specialization in your main character as a jewel born out of a piece of coal, with years to shine as a diamond.

We are aware that a lot of our players do not share this feeling, and we do realise that this system could possibly lead to difficulty in progression if others are not helping you progress (guilds should be a big part in this). If everyone would solely focus on their own experience and their own progression, this could lead to a problem for those that have not progressed that far yet. You could say that, in a way, the biggest restriction will be the players themselves and their ways to help newcomers reach the same level of progression as theirs. We believe that guilds can be a very powerful tool in succeeding in this.

As we said, the first season will have these restrictions since a lot of time and effort has been put into realising all of these ideas and they are not so easily undone (it will not affect at all to Naxxramas/OS/EoE - Season 5). In other words, even if everyone would agree to change the current state of the Algalon realm, these changes will not be active during the first release. However, now that the work regarding Algalon is done, we are interested in the opinion of the players as to how to proceed with Algalon. If the vast majority of the players feel a different course should be taken, we are willing to consider this.

Therefore, we are opening a poll.

You will have 4 options to vote for. You must be logged in and you must have at least one level 20 (or higher) character..

Of course, before vote, click here to read how the gear restriction would work , please.

Option 1: Keep the current idea of gear and achievement retrictions as it is planned. Click here to vote this.
Option 2: Remove the gear restriction, but let the achievement restriction in order to progress. Click here to vote this.
Option 3: Make a gear restriction less restrictive mixing gears, for example: In order to raid Naxxramas and Ulduar the limit gear will be Ulduar gear, in order to raid ToC and ICC, the limit will be ICC gear. Click here to vote this.
Option 4: I don't care, I will play or not play regardless any decission. Click here to vote this.

Thank you very much.

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
ok

Greg @ Kirin Tor
Greg
No Characters
Option 3 imo.. this way it only requires two ilvl sets.. because people who have multiple roles.. tank/heal/dps are going to have way too much gear imo

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
Option #1!!!! I have said time and time again that those who are worthy of raiding are the ones who can actually complete the raid in the first place. It is a hardcore server and meant only for those who are serious about completing raids. With that said, casuals will definitely not make it. LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Lothloryen @ Kirin Tor
Lothloryen
Staff Member
Edited by Lothloryen on 2014-01-26 19:01:28
Hello there,

The issue with one of the votes have been corrected, thank you.

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
i voted for #1

Trackmaniac @ Kirin Tor
Trackmaniac
80 Undead Warlock
Edited by Trackmaniac on 2014-01-26 19:03:32
Option 2: Remove the gear restriction, but let the achievement restriction in order to progressr.

Is it full achievements of the raid (things like safety dance etc as for nax) or just the completion of the raid itself (which would be just 1 run)

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
i joined this server just because of how algalon was supposed to work, pls do not change it

Trackmaniac @ Kirin Tor
Trackmaniac
80 Undead Warlock
Edited by Trackmaniac on 2014-01-26 19:06:29
^
The gear and achievement restrictions only got posted a few days ago.

You are probably confusing it with the transfer restrictions. I think you need to read the recent post about the restrictions on progressing.

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
I agree for Backpeddler. I don't want it to be easy for those who can't even play the game correctly. Make this new and exciting. Those who can't handle it can just go away. I wouldnt want to play with them in the long run so this helps weed out the terribads

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
rubix, i don't know where, but it was posted how progression will work some time ago.

Rathian @ Kirin Tor
Rathian

80 Human Warrior
Isn't there an option to keep both the achievement and gear restrictions but do something about the tons of gear that we'll have to keep with us?

Coldwar @ Kirin Tor
Coldwar
80 Undead Mage
Edited by Coldwar on 2014-01-26 19:12:56
I think it should stay the same, it'll avoid people from being boosted and it's what was said to happen in the first place.

@Joana
Is it necessary to go against new or inexperienced players like that : /? They'll be able to do things at their pace. I think it'll be a nice experience for people who never played wotlk or wow for that matter.

Alastia @ Kirin Tor
Alastia

80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Edited by Alastia on 2014-01-26 19:16:12
I voted the first option, I like the Hardcore way and I want a full blizzlike experience because I didnt play on offy :(

Come on ppl, dont be lazy ;)

Alcibiades @ Kirin Tor
Alcibiades

80 Human Paladin
I voted for #1. If you don't want to be challenged raiding WotLK content as it was released in Retail, please go play somewhere else. The only way to keep all the content "eternally progressive" (which is really what makes Dalaran-WoW unique) is to maintain the current format of gear restrictions.rnrnAs for bag space, chuck out some cash and buy some 36 slot bags. 1 per raid is enough for 2 specs. That's 4 bags, 16 DP which is ~ $21. rnrnLook at it this way even if you buy 4 bags for 2 toons for a total of 8 ($42) you're only paying as much as you did for Retail WotLK in the first place MINUS the subscription fee. rnrnAgain, if you do not want to be challenged by this "eternally progressive" server, please go away.

Hams @ Kirin Tor
Hams
Elder

80 Tauren Druid
Edited by Hams on 2014-01-26 19:25:42
#1 as it was always supposed to be.

I've heard they're already working on the bag space problem and the multiple sets, and they have + 3 months to figure it out.

Om @ Kirin Tor
Om

71 Tauren Druid
Edited by Om on 2014-01-26 19:40:06
When we will be able to see voting results?

Trackmaniac @ Kirin Tor
Trackmaniac
80 Undead Warlock
Edited by Trackmaniac on 2014-01-26 19:30:30
Backpeddler

http://www.dalaran-wow.com/forums/news-and-rules/news-and-announcements/topic/1111/algalon-how-the-progression-will-work

actually only 2 days ago when this information came to everyones attention :)

Munchen @ Kirin Tor
Munchen
80 Orc Hunter
Edited by Munchen on 2014-01-28 01:15:42
The reason why the whole gear restriction sucks is that down the line you will most likely lose one or two people.

So come Toc once you want to get replacements, you either need to get people from other guilds who have done the content before, or go through all the old content with all the old gear sets to get them "attuned" and there is bound to be one or two people who is not going to keep a hold of their gear sets.

Imo, keeping the achievement restriction is the better way of doing it.
Cause forcing people to have 4 gear sets + 4 off sets is just going to be too much.
Alternately if you want to keep the gear restriction, make it so if 20+ people have cleared the content, you don't need to use the old gear. This will make it more friendly for people who is trying to get new members in their raid. But still make it so people can feel like special snowflakes.

Sodix @ Kirin Tor
Sodix
Elder

80 Human Warrior
I want ingame tabard that say I Voted for Option 1.

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
Edited by Dogeman on 2014-01-26 19:36:19
rubix, it was posted somewhere else like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Not that much information, but it was known that u had to clear t7 content to advance to t8, etc

And that was the reason why i started leveling a character here like 3 weeks ago

Trackmaniac @ Kirin Tor
Trackmaniac
80 Undead Warlock
Everyone enjoy having to edit your own posts for linebreaks to save people from a wall of text?

Cinder @ Kirin Tor
Cinder
1 Human Warrior
First option imho. I mean the whole reason why people were able to jump straight into ICC from fresh 80ies during wotlk's last days is because Blizzard was in a rush to release cataclysm. Yet, we are on a permanent wotlk server and we are in no rush anywhere.rnrnIt would be lovely to actually have to work your way up the ladder and not skip the steps. Gogo option 1! :D

Aldergar @ Kirin Tor
Aldergar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
First option ofc,if any of the other option is approved,I'm out.

Dogeman @ Kirin Tor
Dogeman
1 Undead Warlock
^

Eleanor @ Kirin Tor
Eleanor
Elder

80 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Eleanor on 2014-01-26 19:45:35
why did u even made this poll? We want and it should be option 1.)

Frostriver @ Kirin Tor
Frostriver

80 Human Mage
Edited by Frostriver on 2014-01-26 19:49:43
#1.
Remember, the question is: do you want a gear restriction, don't worry about the bag space now. They said that when that becomes an issue, they will provide a solution for bag spaces.
Good Luck Dalaran-WoW.

Tapi @ Kirin Tor
Tapi

71 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Tapi on 2014-01-26 19:53:48
Anything but option #1 and I'd be pretty sad.

People really need to think more clearly if they want #2, because if that happened then the server wouldn't be in any way progressive. That's basically saying that little Jimmy can come in and be boosted through to ICC in a day when he hits 80. Algalon is a PROGRESSIVE realm, and they stated from the beginning it was supposed to be hard. By taking option #2 you'll be making it almost exactly the same as Kirin Tor, just with gradual content release.

tl;dr: People are lazy and want to be part of something exciting without putting any effort in.

Munchen @ Kirin Tor
Munchen
80 Orc Hunter
Cause keeping 4 gear sets = content being hard?

Lonerina @ Kirin Tor
Lonerina
Elder

80 Blood Elf Priest
I just want to make sure everyone check this before voting, as some people may misunderstood or didn't pay attention to this part:rnrn2) Second and final era: Once ALL the content is released, there will be a constant and eternal progression. Thanks to the systems we have implemented, Algalon has been designed with certain restrictions and features that allow the players to progress through the content making each raid / arena season a real challenge for everyone. If you want to progress in the game, either through PvE or PvP, you have to earn it and make an effort.rnrnTo keep it short, gear restrinction will only applyes after ALL the content has been released.

Aldergar @ Kirin Tor
Aldergar

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Cause keeping 4 gear sets = content being hard?
rnNo,but raiding Naxx with naxx gear isn't the same as raiding with ICC gear.

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
Can't wait to experience some real WOTLK authenticity! :D

Jigodian @ Kirin Tor
Jigodian

80 Human Death Knight
Option 2 sounds best in my ears just for the practicality it offers, solving the gear storage issue and keeping the progression feeling.

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-26 21:29:22
Lol I love the way you guys are talking about the gear restriction with terms "blizzlike" and "authentic"... You guys clearly have no idea what those words mean. There was never ever a gear restriction on retail servers so what you guys are saying makes no sense.

Keep talking about the "challenge" and how it's going to be "hard"... Storing 50 epics in your bank doesn't make a game hard. Clearing the easiest instance in the game in old gear isn't hard either.

It has nothing to do with people being lazy, and it doesn't stop people from getting boosted either. A good guild can still boost a guy through the entire content in 1 day if they want, it will just take a little bit longer and a total of 1000 bag slots...

Igníte @ Kirin Tor
Igníte
of the Nightfall

80 Human Mage
So many hostile elitists....take a chillpill guys.

Tankodin @ Kirin Tor
Tankodin

75 Human Paladin
not going to read comments because probably alot are not nice to eachother :prnI voted #1 as the people that can't handle this way can aswell play kirin tor. don't change the special thing that this realm has ;)

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
@Bellyfrog
Lol I love the way you guys are talking about the gear restriction with terms "blizzlike" and "authentic"... You guys clearly have no idea what those words mean. There was never ever a gear restriction on retail servers so what you guys are saying makes no sense.rnrnKeep talking about the "challenge" and how it's going to be "hard"... Storing 50 epics in your bank doesn't make a game hard. Clearing the easiest instance in the game in old gear isn't hard either.rnrnIt has nothing to do with people being lazy, and it doesn't stop people from getting boosted either. A good guild can still boost a guy through the entire content in 1 day if they want, it will just take a little bit longer and a total of 1000 bag slots...
I've been playing this game since 2005 bro. Unless you went through the ups and downs of retail, I wouldn't talk. Of course there was never a gear restriction. Why would there be? There are expansions which came before and came after. Gear restriction wouldn't be needed. Since Algalon will only be one expansion (of which will be progressive), gear restriction is plausible. Algalon is PROGRESSIVE. Maybe you should grab the nearest dictionary and learn some new words. If all you have to complain about is other people's opinions and not the actual server, it must be a pretty good server. The bag issues will be solved. All the gear hoarding will only be needed 3+ months into the servers release. I'm sure the GMs and whatnot will find a solution by then.

Tankodin @ Kirin Tor
Tankodin

75 Human Paladin
do another search as the information you guys are talking about was atleast speculated waaayyy before that :)rnI can remember that I read it somewhere else aswell...

Sephira @ Kirin Tor
Sephira

80 Draenei Shaman
Edited by Sephira on 2014-01-26 22:21:27
sigh....people complain/comment so much about bags slots its unbelievable

The point for having 2 realm its because of this,I understand people want to experience the wotlk from patch to patch but the staff said it themselves,the very moment the slots will become a issues they will find a solution,they are not dumb and wont ignore that matter,they will give us a solution for it to make everyone happy and be able to farm whatnot mats they need

there is also some other factors about people who love to pvp/pve/RP/etc. but just be calm about it,the first 3 months it will be like taking a walk to a KFC,when ulduar open,it will be a different story but the staff will be there for us.

As many time,I saw on other algalon thread,if people doesn't like the restriction they can stay in kirin tor,boost themselves to icc or play like they wish,algalon is just a different level of competition for people who wish to try it,no one force anyone to go for it,yes i understand your whole guild goes there or your friends,but this is the reason why you have the copy-clone feature,if you dislike it,you can always re-transfers or leave algalon for kirin tor were you stop before trying it out.

my choice is number 1,please staff don't change your idea,the whole point why so many came from so many private server its because they weren't real nor giving a fuck about their community,you guys do,so please don't change what you guys are,you are the best and keep following the same path you guys been doing since day 1,a lot are following you till the very end,me including :)

cheers staff

ps:Are we getting invaded by murlocs in the forum? 0_o

Gurgel @ Kirin Tor
Gurgel

60 Gnome Mage
I voted for #2. You won't have to keep so many gear sets and you will still have to progress through all the raids.

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-26 22:50:06
@Joana
I've been playing this game since 2005 bro. Unless you went through the ups and downs of retail, I wouldn't talk. Of course there was never a gear restriction. Why would there be? There are expansions which came before and came after. Gear restriction wouldn't be needed. Since Algalon will only be one expansion (of which will be progressive), gear restriction is plausible. Algalon is PROGRESSIVE. Maybe you should grab the nearest dictionary and learn some new words. If all you have to complain about is other people's opinions and not the actual server, it must be a pretty good server. The bag issues will be solved. All the gear hoarding will only be needed 3+ months into the servers release. I'm sure the GMs and whatnot will find a solution by then.

If you read my response to you in the other thread yesterday, then you'd already know I've played WoW just as long as you (probably longer as I played in EU Closed Beta) and during that time I spent most of my time in the cutting edge of PvE. I know what it is to play hardcore. I was in the guild that claimed world 8th Kel'Thuzad in vanilla, where you had to use 50g+ of consumables for each attempt and took 200+ attempts to kill.

Gear restriction is plausible yes, does it really provide any advantage to the realm and the players? Not in my eyes no, I can't see what advantage it provides other than being an inconvenience and annoyance. The fact that everyone in this thread voting for option 1 can't actually provide a coherent reason as to why, just state words like "blizzlike" and "authentic" which makes absolutely no sense proves my point.

It's funny you claim I attack other people's opinions, then you tell me to grab a dictionary and learn new words lol. You're the culprit of calling this gear restriction "authentic", please explain how it can be authentic when this was never a feature of retail WoW?

I haven't complained about anyone's opinion, everyone is entitled to it. But you need to back up your opinion with facts if you want it to be valid, and no one has done that.

Further to that, I'm not the kind of child who says I won't/don't wanna play on the server if my opinion isn't the one chosen (like some of you people claiming gear restriction is a good idea). Gear restriction or not wouldn't really change if I played here, because it's really not a big deal either way. As I said before, it's inconvenient, it's annoying, but it's not game breaking. I just don't see the point of putting something in the game that is purely making things annoying for players, it provides no benefit whatsoever.

If you wanna debate with me, then debate the actual points. What benefits does this provide? Does it stop people from being boosted? No it doesn't. Does it make raids harder? No it doesn't. Is it blizzlike or authentic? No it's not.

Does it make PROGRESSION (that word you like so much) harder? No, because gear restriction doesn't affect PROGRESSION. So please, make an argument for this gear restriction that actually makes sense.

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-26 22:38:25
@Sephira
As many time,I saw on other algalon thread,if people doesn't like the restriction they can stay in kirin tor,boost themselves to icc or play like they wish,algalon is just a different level of competition for people who wish to try it,no one force anyone to go for it,yes i understand your whole guild goes there or your friends,but this is the reason why you have the copy-clone feature,if you dislike it,you can always re-transfers or leave algalon for kirin tor were you stop before trying it out.

The point is not that people don't like the idea of the Algalon realm. The point is we LOVE >most< of the ideas about Algalon realm but that this one doesn't make the game better. These people arguing against the gear restriction are not terribads who want it easy, we are people who simply don't understand how it makes the game better.

Gear restriction does NOT make progression harder. The progress is already done before the gear restrictions start, so again, it simply doesn't make sense for the idea of a progressive or hardcore or authentic or blizzlike experience.

As for bag space, sure they can provide a solution, that will make it less annoying (still annoying but not as annoying). But why? Why put in an inconvenient mechanic, and then put in a solution to make it less inconvenient? Still a bit annoying because you will have to take 1 hour longer to clear Naxx because of ilvl 226 DPS but not as annoying as having your entire bank full of bad gear... I simply can't see why this is a good idea.

Maybe my opinions of the guilds that will exist here is too high. Maybe the guilds here are so bad that it will actually make things harder, maybe the guilds here will wipe in Naxx (lol) because they have to go back to old gear. That would be pretty sad if that were true though.

Gorthezar @ Kirin Tor
Gorthezar

74 Orc Shaman
Edited by Gorthezar on 2014-01-26 22:48:55
First option ofc,if any of the other option is approved,I'm out.

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
Edited by Gumbel on 2014-01-26 23:02:48
I’ll support whatever decision the staff decides on, but honestly speaking, I’m not in favor of any of the choices offered. In my opinion, the best system to implement on Algalon would be a gear scaling system for all players, even if the entire raid group has cleared that particular raid. By that I mean if a player / group enters Naxx wearing T9 gear, all pieces of gear not obtained in T7 raids or lower should have their scaling stats reduced to T7 levels. Static stats such as hit, expertise, and defense should not be scaled down, as a player in T7 gear needs the same amount of these stats to reach the cap as a player in T10 gear. It would take a little bit of research to determine exactly what formula needs to be used, but it’s very doable.

Implementing a system such as this will accomplish the following things:

1. All raiding tiers and related achievements will maintain their intended level of difficulty for the duration of Algalon’s life. The achievement aspect of this system is something even the current system lacks. Achieving and proudly wearing titles such as “The Immortal†or “The Twilight Vanquisher†are extremely hard to come by and prestigious if earned in T7 gear. The same titles earned in T10 gear are nowhere near as impressive, as the group essentially just out geared the fight. Implementing a scaling gear system will ensure that even if guilds / new players come to the server a year from now, they’ll still have relevant encounters to face, and achievements to chase from all four raiding tiers of WotLK. It will also enable long standing guilds the option to go back into older tiered content and try for some of the achievements they weren’t able to accomplish while that tier was max level content. Essentially, every title in the expansion would carry the same prestige and honor on day one, as day one-thousand.

2. People will not have to worry about managing / storing 160 pieces of gear by the time T10 comes out. This is the absolute biggest reason the majority of people are not in favor of the current system. Forcing people to manage such a large amount of gear doesn’t make the raids any harder or more fun, it just creates a huge burden and obstacle people have to deal with to raid here. Implementing the suggested gear scaling system will make it so people are only required to manage the same amount of gear they would be on a retail server. If they want to keep their older gear sets for role playing / visual purposes / any other reason, that’s still absolutely an option.

I’d also be willing to do all of the research and present to the staff my finding / a proposed formula to use if that would be helpful. I came across an ilevel / stat distribution formula for 3.3.5 a few months ago and could use that as a basis if needed.

Please consider implementing a system such as this as I believe it’ll achieve exactly what you’re attempting to create with Algalon; a forever lasting progressive server where players can come to experience every bit of what made WotLK the best World of Warcraft expansion ever made for many years to come.

Sacredheal @ Kirin Tor
Sacredheal
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Apart from agreeing with Bellyfrog, I'd like to add that it may turn out to be quite bad in the long term as very few people will be starting to play if they need to complete naxx, then Ulduar, and then do ToC (assuming progression is at ToC). If the number of people joining is too low, meaning less than the people leaving, it may turn out to be not just bad, but deadly for the server because it will be getting less and less populated.

Gelbin @ Kirin Tor
Gelbin

80 Blood Elf Rogue
Edited by Gelbin on 2014-01-26 23:11:33
1. EraContent is gradually released. No gear restriction 2. Era (when ICC25HC has been cleared in the 1. Era)Gear restrictions are implementet.

There would be some sense to a system like this. Algalons biggest problem in terms of gear restrictions would be the limited amount of players. A gear restriction system would possibly be the fall of Algalon (as much as some of you guys love it), since new players would have to go through a possibly overwhelming amount of content to be able to join progression raids.

Testinhes @ Kirin Tor
Testinhes

70 Troll Rogue
aaaand you interrupted their work with your crying, good job, good job. i like the gear restrctition and i think some ppl is understanding it bad, they dont want to make it authentic or like retail, they do a non retail sistem to FEEL that what retail made feel to us, the sistem is not authentic, what that sistem will make us to feel is.rnrnbags? i dont care, but i see much ppl care about it, and if you care, the staff care, i'd noworry about that.rnrnthe only way that they can do to be fully authentic is if the server start on the 3.0 and finish after 2 years in the 3.3.5, that aint gonna happen cause they said it, the gear restriction will be there to force you to efort on each boss, i love what this guys just did, they dont release the content with pathcs? then, they make a sistem to make the ppl feel again that difficulty, there is no choice, take it or live, they have prepared an envirommet that'll make you feel the blizzard days on each boss, even tho the sistem is not blizlike, you'll feel the blizlike feeling

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-26 23:16:13
@Sacredhealrn
Apart from agreeing with Bellyfrog, I'd like to add that it may turn out to be quite bad in the long term as very few people will be starting to play if they need to complete naxx, then Ulduar, and then do ToC (assuming progression is at ToC). If the number of people joining is too low, meaning less than the people leaving, it may turn out to be not just bad, but deadly for the server because it will be getting less and less populated.

Thanks for a sensible, well written response.

First of all I feel that >only< the gear restriction is a bad idea, because it will make things annoying and put people off. The achievement requirements for progression I think that idea is >good< personally, I like the idea of making new players progress through the content, even though this restriction isn't Blizzlike it DOES help make a Blizzlike feeling (unlike the gear restriction).

I don't think that the achievement restriction will put many people off because if someone want to progress on the server, they will have to have a guild, and that guild will help them progress (and feel much better about helping if there's no weird gear restriction and having to fill their entire bank with old gear and take 2 hours longer to do a raid).

It's also clear that some people DO NOT understand the gear restriction, here I will quote the blue post:

1) First Era: The raids and arena seasons will be gradually released and will last as “the current raid/season†for around 3 months (depending on the raid). During this era, there will be also gear restriction within the raid instances.

So there WILL be gear restriction in the first era, which some people in this thread are saying there won't be. You guys need to understand what you are voting for.

As I said, the gear restriction won't change my opinion on whether to play here or not, I like the idea of the server mostly and will try it out. But I do think it could have a negative impact on the population of the server and anyone who can look at the bigger picture knows that the most important part of a private server being successful is having a good population.

Willferall @ Kirin Tor
Willferall

80 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Willferall on 2014-01-26 23:42:40
The whole point of Algalon is the idea of constant progression: meaning each encounter should be difficult and fought while wearing the gear of its time period. People who don't like that idea can play on Kirin Tor, plain and simple, that's why it's there. Now I don't think most people's issue is the gear restriction, just how they'll deal with it. I see 2 recurring issues people bring up.

1. Bag space. Really? Suck it up, buy some frostweave bags, put extra sets in your bank. The ONLY time you'll have to get them out is if you wanna help a newer guy. Custom 100 slot bags could help this too, or the gear scaling (the ideal solution), but that's a lot of work on the developer's part, compared to minimal work on our part.

2. Low population making it difficult for new guys and alts to progress. While we're raiding ICC, they have to search global, "Hey, anyone wanna run Naxx with me?" Look what Loth said:

With that we would like to avoid one weekly fast boost until the last available raid, and with that fortify the guild spirit and the guild competition. This way we are trying to increase the partnership amongst players and the specialization in your main character as a jewel born out of a piece of coal, with years to shine as a diamond.

That's the whole damn point! Your main is special, your guild is a community to help each other. New guys can join a guild, make friends there, and then have fun doing old raids with your new friends. If all you wanna do is level 10 characters up to 80 and deck them out in ICC gear as fast as possible, then I have to ask, what the hell are you doing on Algalon?

Option 1 all the way, it was the initial vision of the realm, it's why we got excited for it.

Jigodian @ Kirin Tor
Jigodian

80 Human Death Knight
Edited by Jigodian on 2014-01-26 23:46:44
There should be a 5th option for these hardcore boys above.
Option 5: In order for your character to progress to level 10 you must find Medivh and kill him in one hit. HARDCORE PROGRESSION!

Medania @ Kirin Tor
Medania
Elder

80 Draenei Paladin

Esunna @ Kirin Tor
Esunna
10 Night Elf Druid
Lame that i cant vote because i dont have a lvl 20 toon on Kirin Tor because im waiting for algalon to open to play here.rnAnyway, if i could vote i would go for option #1, its a progressive server, lets keep it that way, original forever.rnrnOtherwise it will be fun at start, but eventually it will turn into endless ICC farm like every other wrath blizzlike server.

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-27 00:26:02
@Willferall
The whole point of Algalon is the idea of constant progression: meaning each encounter should be difficult and fought while wearing the gear of its time period. People who don't like that idea can play on Kirin Tor, plain and simple, that's why it's there. Now I don't think most people's issue is the gear restriction, just how they'll deal with it. I see 2 recurring issues people bring up.rnrn1. Bag space. Really? Suck it up, buy some frostweave bags, put extra sets in your bank. The ONLY time you'll have to get them out is if you wanna help a newer guy. Custom 100 slot bags could help this too, or the gear scaling (the ideal solution), but that's a lot of work on the developer's part, compared to minimal work on our part.rnrn2. Low population making it difficult for new guys and alts to progress. While we're raiding ICC, they have to search global, "Hey, anyone wanna run Naxx with me?" Look what Loth said:rnrn With that we would like to avoid one weekly fast boost until the last available raid, and with that fortify the guild spirit and the guild competition. This way we are trying to increase the partnership amongst players and the specialization in your main character as a jewel born out of a piece of coal, with years to shine as a diamond.rnrnrnrnThat's the whole damn point! Your main is special, your guild is a community to help each other. New guys can join a guild, make friends there, and then have fun doing old raids with your new friends. If all you wanna do is level 10 characters up to 80 and deck them out in ICC gear as fast as possible, then I have to ask, what the hell are you doing on Algalon?rnrnOption 1 all the way, it was the initial vision of the realm, it's why we got excited for it.

1. Exactly, what is the point of having to use hundreds of your bank slots only to get that gear out once or twice to help a newbie, it's actually going to cause a hell of a lot of inconvenience for every raiding player on the server and serves no good purpose. If you wanna waste hours of your time transferring herbs, ore, enchanting mats, gems, consumables back and forth between alts then so be it. Sure, they could put in a 100 slot bag to store the gear, but again, why put in a non-blizzlike item, to somewhat solve a non-blizzlike mechanic, that was introduced because in someone's eyes it somehow made the server more blizzlike... It's totally backwards!

2. A gear restriction does not stop people getting boosted... It makes it slightly more annoying and will take a few hours more, it does not accomplish it's supposed purpose to stop people being boosted so again, why bother? A good guild could easily boost someone through Naxx in 226, Ulduar in 232 and TOC in 245 in a week. You need to remember that the only restriction on actually entering each instance is a basic achievement, not hardmodes, not heroics but a NORMAL MODE achievement.

No one is saying anything about getting 10 characters up to 80 and decking them out in ICC gear so now you're literally just inventing arguments against your opinion and debating them.

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
Edited by Gumbel on 2014-01-27 00:45:57
@Bellyfrogrn

A gear restriction does not stop people getting boosted... It makes it slightly more annoying and will take a few hours more, it does not accomplish it's supposed purpose to stop people being boosted so again, why bother? A good guild could easily boost someone through Naxx in 226, Ulduar in 232 and TOC in 245 in a week. You need to remember that the only restriction on actually entering each instance is a basic achievement, not hardmodes, not heroics but a NORMAL MODE achievement. No one is saying anything about getting 10 characters up to 80 and decking them out in ICC gear so now you're literally just inventing arguments against your opinion and debating them.

Who cares about the boosting? It's not possible to stop. What gear scaling WILL achieve is maintaining the integrity, difficulty, and prestige associated with the achievements / titles earned in each Tier of raiding throughout the entirety of the server's life. As I mentioned in my post, getting T7 titles such as "The Immortal" or "The Twilight Vanquisher" are extremely hard to accomplish in appropriate level gear, but become rather trivial / unimpressive if people can just go do it in T10 gear.

What reasons do you have for being against gear scaling? As you mentioned, it wont make clearing the normal versions of the encounters much more difficult, it'll just keep more of the expansion's content relevant for a longer period of time (forever theoretically).

And if you're going to argue that the T7 titles aren't hard to achieve, take a look at the third post found in the comments section of this page:

Title: 'of the Nightfall'

Here's the quote from the above link:

This is an EXTREMELY difficult achievement to accomplish. As of 2/7/09 only 1.3% of all guilds in the world have accomplished this achievement. (http://wowjutsu.com/world/)

Titles and achievements such as these will give guilds and players feats to accomplish and work towards for years to come, spanning all tiers of content even if they've already progressed through all of ICC.

Again, I urge the staff to consider implementing a gear scaling system as I've described a few posts up. It truly is the ideal system for this server. Additionally, they still have 4-5 months to work on it, as it wont be necessary at all until after Ulduar is released.

Ironbeard @ Kirin Tor
Ironbeard
72 Tauren Druid
Edited by Ironbeard on 2014-01-27 01:07:12
I really don't understand why so many people are concerned with bag space. Whe the time comes the staff will have a solution, don't wory about it. Yes, it is a non-blizz future, but this server isn't meant to be identical to retail. It is meant to FELL like retail.rnrnAbout the gear restrictions, I'm absolutely for it. Those saying that it will not mater and people will still be able to get boosted easily aparently don't see a big difference betwen icc and naxx gear either. If they only put achievement restrictions this server will be IDENTICAL to every other wotlk server out there with 2 exceptions: - you have to complete older raids when you hit level 80, which isn't much of a chalenge if you get boosted by icc geared players and actualy is annoyin - better scripts The whole point of Algalon is supposed to be hardcore experience, where you have to put in work to achieve anything. With only achievement restrictions any player with a friendly, helpful guild will get to 80, get boosted through the raids and start the icc farm, they way every other wotlk is right now. It would actualy be the casual players without guilds that would get the hardcore experience. But, oh, I forgot, they can just do it in fos/pos/hor gear. I guess noone would get the hardcore experience once all the content is released and the server would be just another wotlk private server with some stupid restrictions about raiding.

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
Edited by Gumbel on 2014-01-27 01:12:49
Actually - I don't even mind having the gear restrictions as they are implemented now and managing all of the gear. Especially if they find a solution such as a custom 100 slot bag that can be used in a bank slot. The absolute biggest part I don't like about the current system is allowing people to bring ilvl 252+ gear into an ilvl 213 raid to obtain the achievements and titles. That's the thing that needs to change in my opinion. The gear scaling just removes the annoying aspect of having to juggle 8979573495735 pieces of gear.

Azizh @ Kirin Tor
Azizh

1 Human Priest
Got me really sad to see this thread. The whole point of this server from the start was to have the gear restriction system. It is essential to have in a progressive\competitive server. Otherwise there is no pride or even no reason to get the different titles such as undying\OS3D title etc. "So you got the OS3D title with ToC\ICC gear? Wow....impressive."

Bellyfrog @ Kirin Tor
Bellyfrog
80 Human Warrior
Edited by Bellyfrog on 2014-01-27 01:23:15
@Gumbel
Who cares about the boosting? It's not possible to stop. What gear scaling WILL achieve is maintaining the integrity, difficulty, and prestige associated with the achievements / titles earned in each Tier of raiding throughout the entirety of the server's life. As I mentioned in my post, getting T7 titles such as "The Immortal" or "The Twilight Vanquisher" are extremely hard to accomplish in appropriate level gear, but become rather trivial / unimpressive if people can just go do it in T10 gear.

What reasons do you have for being against gear scaling? As you mentioned, it wont make clearing the normal versions of the encounters much more difficult, it'll just keep more of the expansion's content relevant for a longer period of time (forever theoretically).

And if you're going to argue that the T7 titles aren't hard to achieve, take a look at the third post found in the comments section of this page:

Title: 'of the Nightfall'rnrnHere's the quote from the above link:

This is an EXTREMELY difficult achievement to accomplish. As of 2/7/09 only 1.3% of all guilds in the world have accomplished this achievement. (http://wowjutsu.com/world/)

Titles and achievements such as these will give guilds and players feats to accomplish and work towards for years to come, spanning all tiers of content even if they've already progressed through all of ICC.

Again, I urge the staff to consider implementing a gear scaling system as I've described a few posts up. It truly is the ideal system for this server. Additionally, they still have 4-5 months to work on it, as it wont be necessary at all until after Ulduar is released.

YES! FINALLY! Now we actually have a reasonable, well-thought out post that actually makes a valid point! Thank you sir!

In response to your first point, apparently several people care about boosting, just look through this thread, as it was one of the only points brought forward to back up the gear restricting.

Now the achievements thing I can agree with, and please note that I never said anything against your idea of gear scaling which was a great idea, only about gear-restriction because it is such an awkward and inconvenient mechanic. However, you have finally offered me a legitimate reason to why gear restriction actually provides some benefit to the server.

You sir, deserve a cookie.

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
I think it would be nice if there was a section on the main website dedicated to the gear scaling system. After naxx, you could go to it, input your character/specs, and pick out your gear so that when you went into naxx (or any other raid), the current gear your wearing would scale down (not up) and that would be manageable. Maybe a custom patch or anything. (P.S. This was off the top of my head, not a serious idea meant for discussion)

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
Edited by Gumbel on 2014-01-27 01:59:53
I think it would be nice if there was a section on the main website dedicated to the gear scaling system. After naxx, you could go to it, input your character/specs, and pick out your gear so that when you went into naxx (or any other raid), the current gear your wearing would scale down (not up) and that would be manageable. Maybe a custom patch or anything. (P.S. This was off the top of my head, not a serious idea meant for discussion)

I actually like your idea quite a bit, Joana. It could use some refining / fine tuning, but it's a great idea.

Here's an alternate rough idea that was sparked by your idea:

A 'Gear Slot Tab' is added right next to where the icons are located for your bags. It contains four different tabs - one tab for each tier of raiding. Any piece of gear you obtain that becomes soulbound to you goes into the appropriate tab. Players can then use the gear set function found within the box version of the game (dont even need an addon) to set up their different gear sets. You can then choose between any piece of gear you've ever obtained and bound to your character and it wont take up any extra bag slots. Additionally, switching gear sets would be as easy as clicking on the "T7 Tank" set, or T8 Arcane" set you have saved in the equipment manager right within the game.

This might be extremely hard to implement, or maybe not, but it's another possible solution to the problem.

Joana @ Kirin Tor
Joana

80 Night Elf Hunter
Edited by Joana on 2014-01-27 02:22:36
@Gumbel. Thanks! I like your idea a lot too.

I think differently so bare with me on this next idea. I like doing analogies and finding similarities with things. I'll compare ICC rings with gear scaling. I remember doing ICC and having to get a certain reputation to get the ring. Friendly(t7)/Honored(t8)/Revered(t9)/Exalted(t10). Maybe there could be a quest giver in every main city, or outside of a raid (maybe both, who knows) that you can trade your gear for. It'll have a yellow question mark on top and you can just "complete" the quest and get the gear. A little impractical but every idea is useful in one way or another xD

Another analogy/similarity. You know heirloom gear? That scales! Why not instead of the variable being changed which is "level" also have it change for "instance/difficulty" ? That doesn't sound too bad. You'd still be able to raid instances in your best gear and then put on your "heirloom" gear which would scale for instance/difficulty. Anything else I think of I'll just put it here xD

Lothloryen @ Kirin Tor
Lothloryen
Staff Member
Edited by Lothloryen on 2014-01-27 02:47:08
Hello there,

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. We will post the results of the poll in few days.

About the gear scaling, we also thought on this time ago, but we didn't like it too much since even if we could make it pretty accurate, it would not be the same. It is not about how hard it would be, since our current system is much more complex.

There will be bags with many extra slots (easy obtainables) if people preffer this option when we have the poll results, do not worry at all about that.

Thank you.

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
Edited by Gumbel on 2014-01-27 02:59:26
Any consideration being given to not allowing raid groups to out gear fights, even if everybody in the raid has already cleared that tier of content? I don't care if it's gear scaling, or even the current system that's in place so long as the integrity of the achievements and titles is kept in tact. Allowing people to obtain titles such as "The Twilight Vanquisher" in T10 gear completely destroys the meaning and prestige of the title.

I feel like that's the real flaw in the system as it's stands right now.

I voted for option 1, but I'm vehemently against allowing people to get T7, T8, or T9 achievements and titles by out gearing them.

As I mentioned, keeping the integrity of these titles and achievements in tact will ensure there's plenty of challenging content across all tiers even after guilds have cleared ICC.

Bladesong @ Kirin Tor
Bladesong
80 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Bladesong on 2014-01-27 03:28:28
I've voted for option #1.

Option #3 seemed tempting for a bit when I considered the storage place necessary, but the staff have said the they will implement a system, so there are no worries about that, is there? And furthermore, as many wrote, it would be "unfair" achievement-wise, and I agree! They should be hard earned! It will be awesome.

Shadowborn @ Kirin Tor
Shadowborn

55 Human Death Knight
Edited by Shadowborn on 2014-01-27 04:24:03
Hah voter for #1 ... Now remains to be seen from what I'm made of ... And every1 else if #1 stays ...

Zakk @ Kirin Tor
Zakk

80 Human Warrior
Edited by Zakk on 2014-01-27 05:29:53
I see a couple of things happening here due to the allowance of comments.. First, only those who feel strongly one way or the other will voice an opinion, portraying what can become a false majority. Second, many people tend to mimic the first, or "loud", comments be a part of what seems to be majority rule. This can cause some people to lose their own ideology and conform.

This can be seen through psychological and statistical evidence. My suggestions is for future polls, to ensure a more accurate result, either disable comments or have separate forum post for players to debate, comment, persuade, and advertise their ideas.

Sephira @ Kirin Tor
Sephira

80 Draenei Shaman
Edited by Sephira on 2014-01-27 07:39:51
well the "problem" about the gear slots got solved now since lothloryen answer it.

I don't know if i am the only one who see it this way but,if we begin to remove piece of the puzzle of a private server who try to be as close as possible to old retail wotlk,doesn't it make "custom"?

I never played retail before,but as far as i see,base on the very first post of dalaran wow before it came out,it was saying they were trying not to be custom at all so no instant 80,no pay to win gear,no transmog,etc.

but if we begin to vote to remove restriction after restriction they added or try to add to "pleased" the low population base on the pool,doesn't that make this server closer to other fail server who couldn't do much after their release?

not complaining at all about everyone suggestion (i read them all),most of them i like it,but anyway,its just my personal opinion,that we should let them work in peace and see what come in the end for us.the server isn't yet out,no one tried it beside the beta tester and a lot are scared of the result,not going to use the word complain because i know lot of you aren't complaining,but..anyway,in my opinion we should let them work for now and just vote what we think its best

sorry if all i said its just repetitive or rubbish...

good day/night everyone

Sacredheal @ Kirin Tor
Sacredheal
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
The difference in terms of boosting is still not so big. Naxx isn't known for its great difficulty, nor Ulduar's normal modes and I won't even bother mentioning ToC as it seems easier to me. The boosting will still be there, it will only take people some extra time. And who needs this really? This could only drive people away because they cannot get to the current progression as others.rnrnThen, removing gear restriction is not a custom feature. Having it is. I am not saying this is a valid point to remove gear restriction, but it is not a valid one to support keeping it either.rnrnI also think that Blizzard have their reasons to continue adding content. You know, when you do something so many times, it gets boring. In other words, the ones who progress during the first era will most likely quit some time after Halion 25 hc is done. Therefore, if it is mainly new people who join after that, why would we apply the gear restriction as they will need to clear the content anyway, and all realm-firsts, as well as titles will have been taken in the appropriate gear. After all, the closure of a raid is the biggest gear restriction that exists. rnrnSo I would suggest that we keep gear restriction out for the time being and only add it should it be needed in the second era.

Shako @ Kirin Tor
Shako

1 Orc Hunter
Edited by Shako on 2014-01-27 07:51:05
A friend told me about one russian server. People in there level to 70 and then they have to do all tbc raids, continue leveling to 80 and do wotlk raids in order to get to icc. THE SERVER IS OVERPOPULATED.

When we start Algalon there will be Naxx only, so we will have 3-4 months to increase server's population. Then Ulduar will open and we won't have a lot of trouble to help other people to complete Naxx as there will be 3-4 months more. After this time there should be enough people playing (I believe) who will keep doing those raids. If not, the staff consists of really inteligent people and I'm sure they will figure something out.

At first I was really against those restrictions, but the server has not been opened yet, so we have to play first and see what's going to happen!

Sacredheal @ Kirin Tor
Sacredheal
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Perhaps you are right, Ampha. Let's see what happens. Hopefully Naxx will still be raided even when Ulduar is out.

Rathian @ Kirin Tor
Rathian

80 Human Warrior
Edited by Rathian on 2014-01-27 09:47:47
Why didn't you say that the bags issues will be fixed if the first option goes through? I voted for the second one only because I thought that you guys weren't going to do anything about it but if that's the case, of course that everyone will vote for the #1 and this poll makes no sense. We're playing on this server because of the progression and any option that makes it more challenging is always welcome.
The poll that you guys really need to make is about the ONLY THREE MONTHS per content, which everyone thinks that it's a really short time. There's not enough time to even get bis for that particular tier. I assume that you're doing it only because of how the pvp seasons will work but no one will complain if you do two of the same seasons in a row and prolong both the pve and pvp experience of that tier

Sacredheal @ Kirin Tor
Sacredheal
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Rathian, saying this poll makes no sense is a rather ignorant post as it disregards different opinions which in no way are worse or less worthy than yours.

Rathian @ Kirin Tor
Rathian

80 Human Warrior
Edited by Rathian on 2014-01-27 09:53:21
Rathian says that this poll makes no sense because no one will complain about the tons of tier gear that we'll have to keep with us to make an older raid challenging if the bags space is fixed. That's why players are joining Algalon, because of the progression and making older raids fun and Rathian will stomp his feet up your ass if you just post to say useless stuff and that has nothing to do with the topic

Silmariella @ Kirin Tor
Silmariella
78 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Silmariella on 2014-01-27 11:35:45
In my humble opinion, if all those people who claim they'd quit if "option 1 wasn't chosen" actually quit this server would be off to a great start. We don't need such primadonnas around here.rnrnI mostly agree with Bellyfrog and I certainly wouldn't want to have to juggle n sets of gear. I already need m sets on account f playing a druid. And seriously, Naxxramas presented almost no challenge at all, even while it was the relevant tier in wotlk. Surely there are others who were as bored as I was raiding it. It should've been at least somewhat more difficult. rnrnI'd like to see tier's lifespan extended to at least 4 months btw. Gives more time to gear up a raid with bis gear.

Edit: and what's with this "rnrn" crap added after randomly chosen full stops?

Duk @ Kirin Tor
Duk
the Magic Seeker

80 Night Elf Druid
Option one is superb as intended, just figure something up with bag slots and it is perfect.

Tapi @ Kirin Tor
Tapi

71 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Tapi on 2014-01-27 13:18:00
I agree with Gumbel up above on the harsher gear restrictions, as I don't wan't every Naxx achievement to be worthless after 3 months, all the Ulduar achievements after 6 months and eventually the only difficult achievements would be ICC achievements. It seems like a shame to allow people to bring ICC gear into Naxx making every achievement considerably easier, allowing next to no differentiation of the people who did it in T10 gear and the people who did it in T7. My idea is fairly simple: Implement a system where if you are wearing gear PAST the raid you're currently in, nobody in your raid can get achievements for that raid. In this way, this would not only implement a restriction system in itself (as people wouldn't be able to get Naxx 10/25 achievements if anyone was wearing Ulduar+ gear) but it would allow the server to keep the integrity and difficulty of all achievements in the game, even after ICC is released. Now, there's a pretty good chance none of this will happen but as it stands, Algalon will make me very sad if after 3 months Naxx achievements are made to be cakewalks (For the most part).

tl;dr: I think gear restriction should prevent achievements in total, not just 10/25 completion achievements.

Morohtar @ Kirin Tor
Morohtar

80 Undead Warlock
First option, obviously.rnNo explanation needed. There's a reason why we're so hyped up about this new realm.rnRegards.

Feathalise @ Kirin Tor
Feathalise
10 Dwarf Paladin
Option 2:rn If you implement Option 1 it will be a pain in the ass, people will have to save naxx gear if they want to do it again, loving the idea and super hyped, but gear restriction would be a pain in the ass, either you create a system with bag slots for naxx/ulduar/ToC/ICC gear or....you code a debuff to equalize the stats of everyone, im trowing number here but lets say you want to do naxx witth ulduar gear? -10%stats, Toc gear? -20% stats, im sure you guys can figure out the math to make it balanced but i think preserving the REAL experience is the point of this realm, and rolling naxx with ICC gear is a joke... cant wait for the realm launch, and best regards dalaran developers!

Rathian @ Kirin Tor
Rathian

80 Human Warrior
Edited by Rathian on 2014-01-27 13:39:59
Option 2:rn If you implement Option 1 it will be a pain in the ass, people will have to save naxx gear if they want to do it again, loving the idea and super hyped, but gear restriction would be a pain in the ass, either you create a system with bag slots for naxx/ulduar/ToC/ICC gear or....you code a debuff to equalize the stats of everyone, im trowing number here but lets say you want to do naxx witth ulduar gear? -10%stats, Toc gear? -20% stats, im sure you guys can figure out the math to make it balanced but i think preserving the REAL experience is the point of this realm, and rolling naxx with ICC gear is a joke... cant wait for the realm launch, and best regards dalaran developers!

They're going to implement a feature to deal with the tons of gear so don't worry about the different sets that you'll have to carry with you for the older tiers!

Fabio @ Kirin Tor
Fabio
1 Dwarf Paladin
Edited by Fabio on 2014-01-27 16:02:09
I swear to uncle adolf, if someone takes second option i will find you and beat you up with iron stick. Yours Geztapo

Lifé @ Kirin Tor
Lifé

76 Draenei Death Knight
option 1 all the way :)

Postit @ Kirin Tor
Postit
1 Night Elf Rogue
Edited by Postit on 2014-01-27 17:30:30
There seems to be two reasons why people are suddenly concerned with Algalon´s restrictions: gear slots and bag space on the one hand and raid replacements on the other.

I´m think that the gear could have a custom feature, the same way that mounts used to be stored in bags and obtained a tab of their, Algalon´s gear could have a similar feature. This may only apply to heroic raid gear, for instance, so there´s an incentive for people to do heroics and thus keep the challenging feel of the progressive server alive.

As far as raid replacements are concerned, I don´t think this will be an issue. I´m guessing that the biggest guilds will have several branches, each raiding a different expansion; or that guilds will form for the sole purpose of raiding a certain expansion. If there were transfers from other severs and lots and lots of instant-80s, then yes, it might be an issue. But if you´re levelling from lvl 1 or lvl 70, there will be a constant influx of players... provided the server has something truly unique to offer, that is.

What surprises me is how many people are here, interested in Algalon, but want something different altogether. There´s plenty of other servers out there that don´t have any restrictions, why not transfer to one of those?

Dx @ Kirin Tor
Dx

70 Night Elf Hunter
Please don't ruin the potential of this server, keep the restrictions.

Jeina @ Kirin Tor
Jeina
Staff Member
Edited by Jeina on 2014-01-27 19:28:51
Greetings community,you don't have to worry about achievements losing their value,because it's earned with higher tier then the raid provides. We want every achievement to preserve its own valor. Therefore you will not be able to earn any of the raid achievements with gear higher then the tier of the raid.

Regards, Averdoom.

Noctum @ Kirin Tor
Noctum

80 Night Elf Death Knight
#1. As others have stated that is the reason I am here and waiting. Doing it in any other way doesn't necessarily make it worse, but it wouldn't be what I came here for.

Conflux @ Kirin Tor
Conflux

1 Night Elf Warrior
#4, due to your cries, i don't care what you think, if the GM's will take their words away, that means it was fucked up from the beginning with.rnrnRegards

Forze @ Kirin Tor
Forze
the Kingslayer

80 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Forze on 2014-01-27 21:45:15

The server is awesome. I'll be in Dalaran, regardless of which one is chosen. However, I do hope its #1

Atheos @ Kirin Tor
Atheos
1 Undead Priest
Edited by Atheos on 2014-01-27 23:09:15
I never saw this mentioned anywhere, but there is a more flexible system than having only Naxx gear in order to run new people through Naxx: average ilvl restriction.

That is, if your average ilvl is, let's say, 218 or less, you are allowed to run Naxx - even if you might have a piece of 251 gear, as long as you have some low ones (say, 200) to even it out.

It could be something more complicated than a basic average - GearScore is a weighted average (more or less), for example - or maybe the system could be so that you're allowed to wear at most 3-4 pieces of non-Naxx gear to run Naxx with new people.

Munchen @ Kirin Tor
Munchen
80 Orc Hunter
Edited by Munchen on 2014-01-28 01:12:54
@ The people who voted #1 so that achievements would be hard. If I remember right, as soon as everyone in your grp has completed the content once, you can use any gear after that.

@Bellyfrog Thank you for actually seeing it the way it is, and not as a "The server will be more hardcore if you have to keep gear"

Haehaehaehae @ Kirin Tor
Haehaehaehae

1 Human Mage
Edited by Haehaehaehae on 2014-01-28 07:49:22
I read so much bullshit seriously.. You guys really think this server will be "hard" for example when you cant use ilvl 226+ in naxx?The whole "GEAR-SWAPPING-OHMY-GOD-HARDMODE-PLS" thing is overrated in my opinion.These things wont help you if the server is low populated and new players cant enjoy it > the following result of it is, you guys will stay with THE SAME 100 PEOPLE on the server over and over. hope you implement Gearscaling in Raids per Tier because this way most people can raid together without "LF TANK & HEAL only with Naxx 25 achievement (fast run, no new players) thing.see ya around

Hams @ Kirin Tor
Hams
Elder

80 Tauren Druid
Edited by Hams on 2014-01-28 10:07:33
Greetings community,you don't have to worry about achievements losing their value,because it's earned with higher tier then the raid provides. We want every achievement to preserve its own valor. Therefore you will not be able to earn any of the raid achievements with gear higher then the tier of the raid.
Regards, Averdoom.

This was the whole reason I voted for #1. Now I wouldn't care less if it's #2 or #3.

All of this should have been stated beforehand.

Et @ Kirin Tor
Et
1 Blood Elf Priest
#1 Option for sure.

Blackoutx @ Kirin Tor
Blackoutx

74 Troll Mage
Why bother playing on a fresh progressive server if all you care about is purples. The realm will grow in size on algalon release and there will be alot more guild join opportunities and people to do arenas with to progress through content / seasons. rnrnTL;DR: don't like the progressive style stay on kirin tor

Tisik @ Kirin Tor
Tisik

70 Night Elf Druid
My vote for option 1. That however creates a new unique problem that was not present in retail which is the difficulty of managing all that gear. Keeping two sets of gear for every instance adds up to at least eight sets and is too much. One of thease would solve the issue:rnrn* Extra bag space for gear only rn* Down scaling of higher level gear for lower level raids

Kremaytu @ Kirin Tor
Kremaytu

80 Night Elf Rogue
i have a question, if the Option 3 is applied, would that mean that the item level for transfer will be increased to 200 ?

Gumbel @ Kirin Tor
Gumbel

80 Human Mage
@Tisik -rnThey've said they have plans to help allieviate the issue with gear storage. They haven't stated exactly what it is, but something is in the works.

Demetori @ Kirin Tor
Demetori

80 Human Paladin
Edited by Demetori on 2014-02-01 22:12:54
It's been almost a week now, many are interested in the results.
Is there anything holding you back from from posting them?

Aizen @ Kirin Tor
Aizen
Staff Member
Edited by Aizen on 2014-02-01 22:22:08
It's been almost a week now, many are interested in the results.rnIs there anything holding you back from from posting them?

No there is nothing "holding" back the results, they have been posted since yesterday. Link

Bosnian @ Kirin Tor
Bosnian

74 Draenei Shaman
i think 2 is the best

In order to post you must to be logged in

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Click here to view the Forums Code of Conduct.